✅ SOLVED Help identifying this possible military hat insignia?

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Columbus Day all! This screw back pin or badge was in a box of miscellaneous estate items that I picked up recently. It measures approximately 1.75" across and is gold-toned with blue enamel on a raised center portion that is decorated with eight outward facing arrows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The only potential clue I have - and this may just be a red herring - is that I remember seeing a few tie clips at the estate sale commemorating a joint military training operation with Korea in the early 1980s. Thank you.
image22.jpegimage23.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been doing a little more research, and the closest thing I have found is the 'Symbol of Chaos' which comprises eight arrows in a radial pattern. It is also called the Arms of Chaos, the Arrows of Chaos, the Chaos Star, the Chaos Cross, or the Symbol of Eight. It seems to have come into being in the early 60s, but there is nothing indicating it was ever used by a military unit. Maybe I'm way off base? Here is a picture of the Symbol of Chaos from Wikipedia.
300px-Chaos_star_svg.png

Upvote 0
Sorry for answering my own question, but I believe I have identified it as the insignia for Morris Air, a low-fare airline based in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. It began operations in 1992. It was sold to Southwest Airlines in December 1993. It makes sense now, because there were also a small grouping of Pan-Am uniform buttons at the same estate sale I bought this insignia from. I just didn't connect the dots until now. Thank you everybody.
morris air.png

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back