Help Identifying... Stone Axe??

Crowmagnum

Jul 22, 2024
Hey folks, I'm new here, but I've been rockhounding and keeping an eye out for artifacts for a while. Yesterday I found this very axe-looking stone near where I am in Western Montana. I'm aware that in my enthusiasm I sometimes see artifacts where only stones exist, but this one really does feel pretty legit. If it's just a river rock, it's a dang good coincidence. There are plenty of stone tools laying around this area, so I'm always on the lookout. Any one care to comment on whether it seems worked by humans? I'd sure appreciate it!
Crow M.

Attachments

• IMG_8245.JPG
    IMG_8245.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8244.JPG
    IMG_8244.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8246.JPG
    IMG_8246.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 48
Don't axe me.

Ok other than that terrible pun I have nothing to add regarding what you might have there.

Upvote 0
Don't think it is man made, looks more like water erosion.

Upvote 2
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from TODAY'S FINDS! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
N!OTE: Forum TODAY'S FINDS! contains your find(s). Share it with others in the Today's Finds Forum. Always a "timely" place to visit.
thanks
Don't think it is man made, looks more like water erosion.
I found it down by the Blackfoot river, so yeah it's definitely been in the water.

Upvote 0
it would be rather small judging by the quarter. And it doesn't really identify with existing stone axe shapes. If an artifact it would be a hammer, and most of those were made to be hand held...rather like a maul.

Upvote 0
I have found rocks in riverbeds that have a similar shape to a modern, steel axe, and that is what attracted my attention. But stone age people did not have that shape for reference. So I realized that what I interpreted from my viewpoint is incorrect. Stone age axes had other shapes. The stone "axe" that looked like a modern one was not an axe at all, just the result of erosion.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back