Help identifying possible ship spike or wedge?

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
These are some recent finds on a Florida beach using my blue Excal. The long thin one is a bronze ship spike. The rounded spike is the one I need help with, the one with the screwdriver type tip. I found three in one spot, near the other bronze spike. I believe they are bronze as well. Also I've found a few of the smaller bronze ship nails seen in the photo but never have I found one that still had the rounded top.

1. Can anyone help ID the rounded spike with the flat head screwdriver type end? How old? Where from? FIGURE B

2. Can anyone help ID the small ship nail with the rounded head? How old? Where from? FIGURE C

3. There's also another spike type item, it's the medium sized one. I've never found one like this before with that style tip. Can anyone ID it as well? I believe it too is bronze. FIGURE A

February 7 17 Targets.jpg

Feb 7 17 Smaller spike.jpg

Feb 7 17 Unknown Spike.jpg

Feb 7 17 Ship nail with head.jpg

Nails, and the round one is a spent rifle cartrige IMO

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nails, and the round one is a spent rifle cartrige IMO

There is a 50 cal cartridge in the photo but the other rounded 'spike' or 'nail' is solid brass (all three appear to have broken off of something around the same spot)

Upvote 0
Don't give up on these artifacts; I think they are seriously cool. I would be hitting that beach spot often; especially after a good storm.

I'll ask around.. I have some old wooden boat builders around here. They may recognize some of the items.

Danny..

Upvote 0
Don't give up on these artifacts; I think they are seriously cool. I would be hitting that beach spot often; especially after a good storm.

I'll ask around.. I have some old wooden boat builders around here. They may recognize some of the items.

Danny..

Thanks Danny

Upvote 0
Based on the artifacts from about 10 shipwrecks and all the ones I found at sites that I can date, Figure C. is a copper sheathing nail that roughly dates from the late 18th to early 19th century.
Have you tested the larger pieces to see if they are copper coating over a ferrous metal?
Interesting finds!

Upvote 0
Based on the artifacts from about 10 shipwrecks and all the ones I found at sites that I can date, Figure C. is a copper sheathing nail that roughly dates from the late 18th to early 19th century.
Have you tested the larger pieces to see if they are copper coating over a ferrous metal?
Interesting finds!

Thank you for the reply! The larger piece is not magnetic, even tested it on the end where the inner part can be seen. I just posted a better photo of that larger item in this same 'what's it section' having cleaned one of them up. It's titled Has anyone ever seen a bronze ship spike this shape?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back