Help Identifying iron object

Breed

Apr 8, 2021
Jackson, AL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+ ,Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this item close to a rock wall near the Alabama river. Rock walls are extremely uncommon here in Alabama. This area is near where the famous canoe fight occurred during the Creek Indian War took place around 1812. It is also thought to be where the largest indian battle occurred in the US when Hernando Desoto came through the Southeastern US in the 1500's. IMG-1737.jpg

Looks like a broken "bench do" used to hold wood to a bench while carving, cutting, etc. The Woodrights Shop on YouTube shows how they're used.

Upvote 0
Wagon...sled... barn... kettle... or any other various use... Hook... err or part of one that has been broken. IMO

May have been even part of blacksmiths chain hook.

Similar... but not limited to...

s-l300 (2).jpgunnamed.jpg9c9c266d00f74c1dc8209d4ec974adff.jpg

Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet. Knowing the size might help? I think AARC is on the right track. I think it was a type of hook but, one thing I noticed. It may be where it was hammered but there seems to be a seam on the inside of the hook? This would mean that it was cast, probably why it broke? The only cast hooks that I have seen were very old.

Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet. Knowing the size might help? I think AARC is on the right track. I think it was a type of hook but, one thing I noticed. It may be where it was hammered but there seems to be a seam on the inside of the hook? This would mean that it was cast, probably why it broke? The only cast hooks that I have seen were very old.

I just zoomed in on it and also see the seam line.

Good Eye. TISC.

Upvote 0
As usual, the T-net "What is it" gang is on their game.

I'm thinking "pot hook".

1486466a0.jpg

Upvote 0
Cook pot hook would seem the most logical because it would not need to be as strong as say a logging chain hook and the wide opening would be for easy access?
As usual, the T-net "What is it" gang is on their game.

I'm thinking "pot hook".

View attachment 1920212

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back