🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Help Identifying highly detailed Antique Vases

falcop

Oct 16, 2024
Hello everyone,

I hope someone here can help me identify the origin of these antique vases.

I have two vases that were passed down from my grandmother, who owned them for over 50 or 60 years. She received them from her aunt, but I’m unsure of their history before that. They might be over 100 years old.

I’m located in the Netherlands, so they could potentially be from a nearby region, possibly Germany or France. I’ve tried using Google Lens and other tools but haven’t found anything similar, which makes me think they might be quite rare.

These vases are incredibly detailed and appear to have required significant craftsmanship. They look like bronze, but they’re definitely not; they might be ceramic, stoneware, or earthenware. The decorations on them include relief designs of floral motifs, putti figures, shells, and perhaps even bees at the top. There is a mark on the bottom, though the picture isn’t very clear. They could numbers, letters or maybe a combination. I can take better pictures later, but they’re currently at my parents' house.

Each vase is approximately 50 cm tall and has a glaze that gives a bronze-like appearance, though it’s not very shiny. The decoration seems to feature shadows painted in to enhance the depth. As you can see, one is darker than the other. Might be due to that they have been standing at different spots if I’m correct!

If anyone has insights or recognizes these vases, I would greatly appreciate your input!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7495.jpeg
    IMG_7495.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7493.jpeg
    IMG_7493.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7494.jpeg
    IMG_7494.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7497.jpeg