Apr 5, 2013
Between Buffalo and Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro;
AT Pro Pointer;
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these in and around a school I hunt regularly. Surprising to say the least since I am way up in NY and have only seen these posted relating to CW hunts and areas.

1. .574" diameter x 1.03" long
2. .3625" diameter x .727" long
3. .464" diameter
4. .416" diameter

Just wondering if these were older items, replicas or new.

Any help would be appreciated.

20130709_135727.jpg

I think your measurement of bullet #1's diameter is a bit off, because the bullet looks a bit "bent." Please try measuring it at the just aboce the upper body-groove, where it seems to not be damaged. It's body-shape, with three widely spaced grooves and a very short, flat-topped "nose" make it appear to be a modernday imitation of a .69-caliber Minie-ball, made for 20th-Century blackpowder hunters and target-shooters.

Bullet #2 appears to be a metallic-cartridge .36-caliber bullet from the late-1800s/early-1900s (definitely not civil war era).

Bullets #3 and #4 could be musketballs for late-1700s/early-1800s smoothbore muskets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have hunted with bullets like the one on the left and still do my deer hunting using a flintlock with round balls like the two on the right.

Not to say they are not old, but there is still an active traditional muzzleloading community in NY and other states.

The middle one looks about like a .38 Special round nose lead bullet.

157112946_winchester-38-s-w-special-cartridge-box-shell-or-ammo-.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back