Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• buckle pic.jpg
    buckle pic.jpg
    765.2 KB · Views: 245
Welcome to TreasureNet. Very nice find. I can tell you it's a tongue and wreath buckle, but will refrain from trying to put a date on it, as there are many here with more specific knowledge about these. But here are examples which show what the original shape would have been, had the wreath not lost a piece; eagle tongue wreath buckle - Google Search

Upvote 0
It is listed (and shown) in a major reference-book as being a generic state and local Militia waist-belt plate, from the mid-1850s -- see plate #349 in the book "American Miltary Belt Plates" by Michael J. O'Donnell and J. Duncan Campbell. It is a "commercial" plate, made of thin die-stamped "rolled" brass, which breaks easily, as yours did. Thus this type was was never adopted for service in the US Army.

A lot of this general type of buckle have been dug in California. Our fellow TN poster Kuger is very knowledgable about them, especially the varieties dug in California. Perhaps he will speak up about yours.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes,what you have is the complete tongue,and the proper wreath that is missing its belt loop.This particular buckle is what us collectors refer to as the Rope Border Eagle and its one of the more common of the stamped brass buckles.The vast majority of these do seem to be dug out West as they were produced for the civilian Trade duing the mid-1850's.Great piece! CC Hunter is the true expert on these perhaps he will chime in as well!Could you possibly PM me where in Nor Cal you are?

Upvote 0
as far as value,these buckles dont have the collectors base CW relics do,so they dont demand as much.Generally the complete tongue alone will bring around $150,double that with the complete wreath

Upvote 0
Can you I.D. This?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Yes,what you have is the complete tongue,and the proper wreath that is missing its belt loop.This particular buckle is what us collectors refer to as the Rope Border Eagle and its one of the more common of the stamped brass buckles.The vast majority of these do seem to be dug out West as they were produced for the civilian Trade duing the mid-1850's.Great piece! CC Hunter is the true expert on these perhaps he will chime in as well!Could you possibly PM me where in Nor Cal you are?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back