Help identifying an old eagle + shield flat button?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this at a location close to a 1790 establishment. Found a couple bigger flat buttons about 100yds away from where this was found. I'm thinking this is a pretty old find? Sorry about my dirty nails, just got back in from hunting! 20170626_220518.jpg20170626_220659.jpg

Hmm, Interesting old navy button I believe (pretty sure there would be an anchor in the oval)... I'll be curious to find out the date on that one!

Upvote 0
There looks to be one.....Probably hard to see.

Upvote 0
Looks more like a hat or collar pin with the pin bent over?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Looks more like a hat or collar pin with the pin bent over?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was wondering if it was for sure a button too. Looks like the shank bent back the oposite way to me.

Upvote 0
Looks like you found an "unlisted" (not shown in any button-book) variation of the Albert button-book's US Navy NA-38, which shows an eagle with a spade shield on its chest and an oval shield on its left wing, surrounded by 16 stars. NA-38 dates from sometime between 1802 and the late-1810s. Your button's emblem has both the spade shield and oval shield, so it is probably from the same time-period as NA-38.

More photos might settle the question of whether that's a stretched-out button loop on the back, or a bent & partly broken-off "pin." At this point, I'm guessing button-loop.

Upvote 0
Looks like you found an "unlisted" (not shown in any button-book) variation of the Albert button-book's US Navy NA-38, which shows an eagle with a spade shield on its chest and an oval shield on its left wing, surrounded by 16 stars. NA-38 dates from sometime between 1802 and the late-1810s. Your button's emblem has both the spade shield and oval shield, so it is probably from the same time-period as NA-38.

More photos might settle the question of whether that's a stretched-out button loop on the back, or a bent & partly broken-off "pin." At this point, I'm guessing button-loop.

Thank you for the info. I will get a better pic of the back this evening after work.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back