Help Identifying 1800's Morocco Coins

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few 1800's Morocco coins that I need help identifying.
Thanks in Advance!

Scott

m1a.jpg
m1b.jpg

m2a.jpg

m2b.jpg

m3a.jpg

m3b.jpg

m4a.jpg

m4b.jpg

m5a.jpg

m5b.jpg

m6a.jpg

m6b.jpg

m7a.jpg

m7b.jpg

Notes:
M1--4.3g. 18mm.
M2--3.1g. 16mm.
M3--3.3g. 15mm.
M4--3.3g. 20mm.
M5--3.9g. 17mm.
M6--4.5g. 20mm.
M7--3.4g. 16mm.

Each of these coins is called a falus. Some history from the Net:
The term "falus" itself has an intriguing origin too, deriving from a Roman coin known as a “follis” introduced by Emperor Diocletian in 296 CE. The term evolved into "fals" in Arabic and was used for bronze coins issued by the Umayyad and Abbasid caliphates. In Morocco, the term became "falus," denoting a specific coin used in the region.
Source: https://www.historyhoard.com/produc...t-bronze-falus-c-1760-to-1882-ce-north-africa
The seal (similar to the Star of David) represents the seal of the House of Sulayman, the royal family of Morocco since the late 18th century.
The hexagram is on the obverse and the Islamic calendar year is shown on the reverse.
These coins were issued between 1792 and 1873, though other sources cite differing ranges.
Don.......

Last edited:
Each of these coins is called a falus. Some history from the Net:
The term "falus" itself has an intriguing origin too, deriving from a Roman coin known as a “follis” introduced by Emperor Diocletian in 296 CE. The term evolved into "fals" in Arabic and was used for bronze coins issued by the Umayyad and Abbasid caliphates. In Morocco, the term became "falus," denoting a specific coin used in the region.
Source: https://www.historyhoard.com/produc...t-bronze-falus-c-1760-to-1882-ce-north-africa
The seal (similar to the Star of David) represents the seal of the House of Sulayman, the royal family of Morocco since the late 18th century.
The hexagram in on the obverse and the Islamic calendar year is shown on the reverse.
These coins were issued between 1792 and 1873.
Don.......
When I opened this thread and saw the topic I thought myself, now here's another one for Don!

And, once again, you were very helpful.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

As for denomination, I use a (far from exact) index of 17-18mm for a 1 falus; 21-23mm for a two falus; 25mm for a 3 falum and 28-29mm for a 4 falus (1/4 falus to 8 falus coins exist).
Don......
Is there any way to determine the dates?

Scott

While there are at least three mint locations that produced this coinage (Fes, Rabat and Marrakesh), the only way I know how to date them is to be able to read the date (always on the reverse side). In my experience, by far the majority will have a date (readable or not) that begins with the Islamic year "12XX" for the 1800s. In print, the date may be presented as "AH" (Anno Hiegirae) then the year.
On one or more of your coins you may be able to squeeze out a reading of the date.
Don.....

Scott,
If you have other coins that are still unidentified, I'd enjoy the challenge.
Don in SoCal
Don,
Thanks for your previous help and offer. :notworthy:

Most coins I can ID.
The ones that give me trouble are the ones with Arabic, Asian and Ancient script.
If I search long and hard enough, I can come close enough for the Asian and Arabic coins.
I use this website:

I often help to ID coins on several Facebook groups that I am a member of.
Of course, my affection with stamp collecting helps....But not for Ancient Coins!

Again,
Thank you for your help.
(All of my coins posted are for sale....)

Certainly, if I have a coin that I can't Identify,
I will post, with pictures, knowing that you can help!

Be Well, my Friend!

Always,
My Best Wishes!

Scott

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back