Help identify this USMC ring

g_reno

May 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Baeson Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Brand new to metal detecting and this forum. To figure out what the heck I'm doing, I started practicing in my own yard. I dug up this ring that is in really bad shape. I believe this is a US Marine Corps ring of some kind.

I don't know anything about jewelry and don't know what to look for here, but am I right that this is gold plated? It's pretty heavy, so maybe steel with a gold plating? But if it were steel, could it be bent like this without breaking?

I don't see any markings inside. The property is in Pennsylvania and is about 120 years old. Thanks in advance for the help!
-Gregg
mc ring 1.jpgmc ring 2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to be gold plate over brass or copper. Nice find from the yard! Now ,where's that silver quarter..
GOOD LUCK with the hobby! It's a blast.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the comments. Assuming gold plate over brass or copper, are there suggestions for cleaning it without wrecking it?
Interesting about a PX ring - could be.
-Gregg

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the comments. Assuming gold plate over brass or copper, are there suggestions for cleaning it without wrecking it?
Interesting about a PX ring - could be.
-Gregg

I would not go much further than a tooth brush and top job or something similar.

I don't see a fouled rope design on the anchor so not sure if that was just an omission on the maker's part or indicates a clue to the ring's age.

Upvote 0
I remember the PX at Ft Benning had all types of rings with different emblems and other types of jewelry. By the way, it had the best hobby shop I had ever been!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back