✅ SOLVED Help Identify This Old Seat. Airplane ? Assembly Line ?

bjsmith11283

Nov 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody & thanks for taking a look at my old seat & for any information you may be able to provide about it. I purchased this seat a couple weeks ago at a community garage sale near Austin Texas. The previous owner did not know what it went to but gave me a great price on it so I decided it was worth the buy. The issue is, is that I have no idea what it is off of & want to make sure its not too rare before I try and do something with it.Thanks again & have a great day ! DSCN0669.JPGDSCN0668.JPGDSCN0670.JPGDSCN0671.JPGDSCN0672.JPGDSCN0673.JPGDSCN0674.JPG

Maybe for a fishing boat?

sent from my computer by frantically poking at the keyboard with a single finger

Upvote 0
The wood frame tells me it's not from an airplane....but don't know...
Could be a home made piece for a specific heed, making it unique.....reason unknown....

Upvote 0
Lots of things about it say "airplane" to me. Possibly from an old open cockpit biplane?

Its made to fit in a narrow space. It is slide adjustable front to back to reach pedals. It is height adjustable to compensate for the incline of the aircraft while taxiing. Even the green color of the metal parts looks like vintage aircraft interior or structural parts.

303-2.jpg

Upvote 0
I was thinking airplane too, there was a time wood was considered to be the light and strong material of choice for airplanes. However it would almost for sure have a back and arms.

If it turned out its from the Spirit of St. Louis you can retire, but it looked like this:

seat.jpg

Upvote 0
The green paint is zinc chromate primer. It's been used on all types of aircraft for years and is still used.
At least those parts point to aircraft origin. Some military airplanes had a temporary position for another
person like an instructor. The B-47 called it the forth man position. The forth man seating was really bare bones.
If it is from an airplane it doesn't look like a permanent position.

Upvote 0
I've got to go with WWII era aircraft.

Wood was used where they could due to a shortage of metals. They also cut holes to reduce weight, something you don't ordinarily do with land based stuff.

The aluminum is aircraft, of the period and style.

The could have been a removable jump seat or extra position seat for an instructor or something like that.

The side rails and locking mechanism indicates it was supposed to be removable, but when installed, it was securely in place.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for all the great information. I'll direct my research more towards removable aircraft seats. Thanks again !

Upvote 0
just guessing
looks like a prototype for?
or a modification for a physical disability
or just a homemade replacement for a vintage exercise machine

Upvote 0
T Some military airplanes had a temporary position for another
person like an instructor. The B-47 called it the forth man position. The forth man seating was really bare bones.
Ex Air Force guy here. I have to admit, jump seat was the first thing that sprung to mind. If so, it would be pretty old, WWII or earlier I think.

Upvote 0
here is alot of airplane museums around,i would check with one them.cool find.
brad

Upvote 0
The wood frame tells me it's not from an airplane....but don't know...
Could be a home made piece for a specific heed, making it unique.....reason unknown....

Like I said, probably an old jump seat from a vintage aircraft...
This is why I'm not an antique dealer.

Upvote 0
what a cool find,let us know what you do with it.iam sure there are a lot of museums looking for parts like yours.
good luck brad

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back