help ID this shotun shell end

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
found this guy in a very old park in miami that dates back to the 1900's. the info i've been able to find is that the company existed in its own right till 1911 and then merged with remington arms. i cant find anything on whether UMC continued to make cartridges under their own name or did everything get branded UMC-rem after they merged in 1911. its just a shotgun shell end but to me its cool to find something a hunter in early miami left behind.

Attachments

• shell.JPG
    shell.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 350
UMC was an early use by Remington, I think it was Union Metalic Cartridge Co.? I have some UMC in my small collection but none with that particular headstamp. Monty

Upvote 0
Well, it's kinda' hard to tell because they ran a batch with a certain head stamp and they may have revived it years later and the headstamp might be the same as the old ones. If you are only finding the brass part of the shell, it undoubtedly was a paper shell, dating at least back to the early 60s and no telling how much further back they might have gone. I have some full boxes of shells in my collection that I can positively trace to the mid to late 40's because I knew the guy who bought them originally and gave them to me (he is deceased now though). However I have a box of "Bob White" shells made in the late 70s in Europe and they are paper. So, you see it is really difficult to date shotgun shells. Monty

Upvote 0
Hey Re-Tek,

I found a Remington UMC New Club headstamp and in searching I basically found the same info you did.

l_7cdd8fdb0db0fc1343bdcb0b400d5488.jpg

UMC or U.M.C. (Union Metallic Co.) operated under their name from 1867 to 1911 and then merged with Remington and used Rem-UMC or Remington UMC from 1911 to 1934

You may have already seen the following pictures or some similar but I thought I would add them anyway.

UMC-1901-open.jpg

and here's a couple of links you might enjoy looking at if you haven't already seen them.

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/nebland/articles/history/shotshells.asp

http://www.aaconsult.com/ammoreview/html/usa.html

It seems like I came across a site a while ago that actually had the dates from when each was produced and discontinued. I will continue to see if I can find it and if I do, I'll send it to ya!

Good Luck,
Ed

Upvote 0
Monty,

I just got back from the UK. In some of the fields there were some old pin-fired shell bottoms. Were they paper tubes as well? I have no clue about the history of these things but was just wondering. Some of the shells were full length brass and I assume earlier than the pin-fired? Is that about right?

Thanks,

Daryl

Upvote 0
Daryl, I'm not really up to date on pin fired cases. My "collection" as such is just a few boxes and loose rounds of shotgun shells I have picked up here and there from friends and gun shows, etc. Really haven't spent a lot of time at it. Most of the really early stuff I've seen is all brass. One way to tell is that if the part where the head should join the paper is smoothe cut it is probably a paper shell. Rough edge would indicate it was once brass and the thin part of the tube had oxidized away. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back