Help ID silver spanish coin

Southern Brass

Sep 6, 2013
Central , North Carolina
Detector(s) used
AT Pro , White's MXT , Bullseye II Pinpointer, MineLab Musketeer XS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1783 001.jpg1783 002.jpg Today I found this old silver spanish coin with my AT PRO in Smithfield , NC. It came us as an 83 on the read out . The coin is dated 1783. The front is a bust facing right with CAROLUS - III-DEI GRATIA .The back side has a coat of arms with a crown over it and the writing reads HISPAN-ET IND-R-M-F-F. How rare is this coin and approximate value range? Thanks for any help and happy hunting to everyone.

Wow! A Spanish Colonial silver half reale struck in Mexico City-- and pretty darned close to Uncirculated condition! Obverse portrait doesn't seem to have intricate details but that could be because of the weak strike more than wear. I assume it's been cleaned a bit as it doesn't appear to be in its natural state but overall, a killer find! These typically wore down a lot!

Upvote 0
it sure looks suspicious....are you sure of the site, not a plant by someone pulling your leg?

Upvote 0
The site I was hunting I found some round lead buck and ball or possibly round balls pre civil war and an 1837 seated liberty half dime

Upvote 0
The coin was the common 1/2R coin during the period 1772 -1784.
The coin was minted with either "FF" or "FM" as the assayers.
Both coins range in value from about $10 in VG up to $90 in XF.
Cleaned coins usually detract from those values.
Don.....

Upvote 0
We need much better pictures, there is something odd about it, but can't put my finger on it.

Upvote 0
The condition looks like one of the coins from the El Cazador found off Lousiana. Went down in 1784 with a hold of newly minted 1783 Reales - glutted the current market for that year.

Franklin Mint, Home Shopping Network, ebaY . . .

Just sayin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
real 002.jpgreal 001.jpg here is two better pics . Hope this clears up any doubts or suspisions. Again it was found in a plowed up sweet potato field near Smithfield, NC using my AT Pro at a deth of 8 inches

Upvote 0
get it graded and slabbed. I for one would love to see what condition the pro's call it.

Upvote 0
That is a beauty! I have not found any of those over here in Raleigh ....yet :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back