Help ID Ladder Back Rush Bottom Chairs

pag54

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a set of four and cannot find the exact style or century made...any help? IMG_5966.JPGIMG_5967.JPGIMG_5968.JPGIMG_5969.JPGIMG_5971.JPGIMG_5972.JPGIMG_5973.JPG

Welcome to Tnet from Toronto pag54! :hello:

It looks to be a Shaker-made chair, the wood looks to be oak.
Due to the lack of wear on the legs & feet, I'm thinking it's relatively modern, maybe from the 1990s. :icon_scratch:
What does the underside of the seat look like?

Here's a brand new chair for sale from a dealer in Maryland.
Dave

Attachments

• 16_IMG_9725__52912.1510617951.jpg
    16_IMG_9725__52912.1510617951.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply Dave. Photo #5 is a pic of the underneath of the seat. A little background...I purchased these chairs in 1978 at an antique auction. They were "old" then, with terribly soiled rush on every seat. Since I actually wanted to use them, I had the seats re-rushed. I realize that hurts the value, but I really wanted to use them; I didn't purchase purely for an investment. I was recently told that they are early 20th century, probably prior to 1950. Trust me, the wood in places on each chair shows some age, but they have, in general, been taken good care of. Values for this type of chair are all over the place, so just looking for a little more info! Thank you again!

Upvote 0
my mother has a set of the EXACT same chairs. Also bought at an auction except in the early 90s. her chairs are also pre 1950 if i had to guess, but i don't know much more than that.

Upvote 0
Those type chairs have been made a long time, so it is hard to tell the age. I would also say pre 1950's because they were very popular back then, & the wood in your chairs seems to be plain & simply made. They call the seat design, " Fiber Rush Weaving. " You can still buy the material to do that , or find someone to do it for you.

Upvote 0
i have one like those, with a rope seat, that came across the plains in a covered wagon...have also seen the same style in Turkey...easy chair to hand make and done the world over for a long time.

Upvote 0
Hi Unclemac and thank you for your reply. Yes, I am aware the fiber rushed ladder back chairs are plentiful, but there are so many various styles of the chair and that is what I was inquiring about...pretty certain it was made somewhere around the early to mid 20th C (1950s or so). The chairs are in good shape for their age and again, the fiber rushing was replaced in 1978 when I purchased. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back