HELP ID 2 CIVIL WAR MINI BALLS

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEED HELP ID THESE 2 CANT FIND IN DATABASE. BOTH SOLID BOTTOMS BOONESBOROUGH BULLETS 007.jpgBOONESBOROUGH BULLETS 006.jpgBOONESBOROUGH BULLETS 005.jpgBOONESBOROUGH BULLETS 004.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi cm thunder.What you have is a carbine, if .52 cal. It is Sharps, if .50 cal. Smith carbine.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks most like and closest to measurements of .50 cal Smiths in Thomas & Thomas Handbook #73 that shows D .524 and L .86 for my 1st bullet. What about the second one its 3 ringer solid base?

Looks most like and closest to measurements of .50 cal Smiths in Thomas & Thomas Handbook #73 that shows D .524 and L .86 for my 1st bullet. What about the second one its 3 ringer solid base?
I'd hate to guess on that cm. Maybe someone else with more expertise will be able to answer your question. I don't have a handbook like that on bullets. Have you seen this chart?
image.jpg

Are these possible ww1

No they are from Civil war battle

Well, the true definition of a Minie ball is the three rings (but depending on the manufacturer, this could be 1, 2, or 3), but, it needs to have a hollow base. And upon this, the Minie ball is only a musket round, which means that it would be .577 in diameter. Because there diameter, and as stated above, it is a carbine bullet.

But out of curiosity, where did you find them, on what battle, and can you guess what side?

Edit: And I am not an expert in carbine bullets, but remember, it too is lead, so you have to know that the measurement you have right now is going to be a tad less because there is about 150 years of crap sticking to it.

Battle of Boonesborough, Cavalry Battle after Gettysburg 1863, found on Confederate side of battle I believe

Wow, that really pinpoints that it was the Union Cavalry who fired those shots. That is cool. Congrats. I bet if you tried, you could narrow it down to a couple units.

It's kinda hard to tell from the pictures, but at first glance the 'top' pic, does look like a 52 Sharps ( #113 & 114) in your book
cmthunder. but looking closer I think you are right ( likely a 50 Smith/Gallager). ' There is no top ring at all Right?'
Plus that Bullet look's to be dropped & the second one Fired.

Your 2ed bullet look's in the pic, to have 2 rings, If you say it has 3 I believe you.
That one as I said looks Fired & IMO 90% if 3 Rings is a Spencer Carbine Round.
Remember your Measurements will be off on a fired Specimen.

P.s. The Sharps is pictured in CoilyGirl's 1 st post. & if fired the Rebated bottom is hard to see.
Heck look,s like a Colt Revolving Rifle also but they have 2 rings.
Just my opinion.
Davers

Wow, that really pinpoints that it was the Union Cavalry who fired those shots. That is cool. Congrats. I bet if you tried, you could narrow it down to a couple units.

Very true...
Sons Birthday Gotta go...

Thanks for help Davers.
1st one definitely drop does not have top ring. Only 2 elevated rings.
2nd one fired and does have 3 rings

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back