Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi; I dug a brass underwear button today and it has " J Hoare Co. 16 Germyn St " When I web search the name I get a reference to a glass maker in Corning. When I web search the address I see a Germyn St in London. Anyone over there across the pond have the ability to search the history of that address?

I'm just curious about the background of this button. Your help would be much appreciated.

hoare..jpg

Last edited:
That is so cool, thanks for digging that up!

Upvote 0
New-York Historical Society | Top coat w/velvet collar, immitation buttunier

You do need Glasses dug.

QUOTE] You must be right as I don't see a button in your reference, only a reference to the name on the button I dug. They do describe black horn buttons on the topcoat in your reference but I don't think the button I dug is a black horn; just a brass button. Thanks for digging it up though, interesting read.

By Bramblefind's post I know that Hoare had been in business since at least 1889 if not earlier. He never got involved with uniform buttons as I find no reference of him in McGuinn & Bazelon.

I am likely using the wrong description for the type of button I dug but that was what all the other diggers I hung around with called that style of button when they dug them. I am willing to be educated if someone wants to advise what the proper classification of that style button is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spoke with one of my digging partners who was out on the dig with me yesterday and he dug one of these too. He said the back mark was different then the face. What I had mistakenly thought was a carry over impression from the face is actually " J. Firmin & Sons London" who according to McGuinn & Bazelon also made uniform buttons and began in 1823. Obviously the production would date from the time that Hoare contracted the buttons. As J. Firmin is still active I have sent them an inquiry about this button.

Rodgerdodger, guess I need to get my prescription checked.:laughing7:

firmin..jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back