✅ SOLVED Help dating these pistols please.

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. My friend bought a house dating the 1820's and found these beauties in the basement. I was thinking they were a set of dueling pistols? There is some really cool silver inlay work on these and all around fine detail. At some point someone "decommissioned" them. The trigger just flops and nothing moves on it. Flintlocks from 1660-1840, but does anyone know about these and to get a better date and even if they are real and not replicas. They look legit to me, but I am no expert. Thanks in advance for any help! Have a great day!

pistol1.jpgpistol2.jpgpistol3.jpgpistol4.jpgpistol5.jpgpistol6.jpg

I don't like the screws or how crudely made the parts are. File marks everywhere, etc. My brain is screaming "Made in Pakistan" for the tourist trade

If you do a google search for "flintlock pistol with pearl inlay" you will find quite a few that match.

Upvote 0
For something that is crying out to be fancy pistols, they are really poorly made and poorly finished. If there are no marks, you have to assume they are more modern than they are trying to look.

Upvote 0
I don't think they're for use. Touristy display pieces would be my guess. The frizzens appear to be sheet metal.

Is there a vent hole in the barrel beside the pan?

images.jpg

Here's a listing - Replica arms made in Turkey or thereabouts.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12606339

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Brass work is crude, the wire inlay is very crude, I've never seen wire inlay that poorly done. The hammer screams poorly done repo, frizzen shouldn't have that curve, and the pan is
just a flat piece of iron, no cup to hold the powder. I've never seen the frizzen riveted onto the lock, and the frizzen spring is so poorly made I'd be surprised if it works. Looks to me
like it's made in Pakistan or India for the tourist trade.

Upvote 0
Excellent!!! I knew it would not take long to get to the bottom of these! Charlie P-Thanks for the link! I believe a dead on match! Will let them know the findings. Thanks again for your time. Marked solved.

Upvote 0
Did you say they are a bargain basement find no disrespect just something not right here the over pistol has too many issues and I am no way an expert something here is trying to trick these ole eyes,vanzutphen

Upvote 0
Did you say they are a bargain basement find no disrespect just something not right here the over pistol has too many issues and I am no way an expert something here is trying to trick these ole eyes,vanzutphen

Not sure what you are saying? He literally found them in the basement of his house. While they were cleaning and moving into the old farmhouse. He didn't know if they were real or replicas and asked if I could help him find out. I am not a expert on these, but had confidence that someone here would help ID. And many did. And Charlie P's link was a match. Simply show pieces :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Charlie P hit the nail it seems. At one time there were many people making guns at home none of whom were professionals in our country so finds like this must be very carefully researched to prevent throwing away a real gem and part of our history

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back