🔎 UNIDENTIFIED HELP dating the Horstmann, Waterbury, and MC Lilley buttons.

hokiestuff

Sep 27, 2023
Folks,
please help me date these three buttons.
VAMC - Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College
VPI - Virginia Polytechnic Institute.

Background: Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (VAMC) was founded in 1872. In 1896, VAMC was renamed to Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, which the general populace shortened to Virginia Polytechnic Institute (VPI). In 1970, VPI officially became the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University or simply Virginia Tech (VT).
  • LARGE button - produced by the Horstmann Bros. & Allien, NY.
    According to the Library of Congress records, the firm was known by a variety of names: William H. Horstmann & Sons (1843-1893, Philadelphia), Horstmann Brothers & Company (1850-1852, New York; 1859-1893, Philadelphia), Horstmann Brothers & Allien (1852-1877, New York), Horstmann Sons & Drucker (1845-1849, New York), and the William H. Horstmann Co. (1893-1940, Philadelphia). I approximate that the LARGE button is dated around 1875-1876.
  • The MEDIUM-size button was produced by the Waterbury Button Co.
    It appears to also be from the period as the LARGE one. However, it came from the coat of the VAMC cadet, the coat that I personally purchased at an auction. Judging by the button design (an updated VAMC seal) I presume that the MEDIUM button is from around 1880 or 1885. However, I am not knowledgeable enough about dating buttons, so, this is just a guess.
  • The last, SMALL button is a peculiar one. It has a VAMC seal but has VPI heading. It was produced by the MC Lilley Co. I have no idea how to properly date it but considering its design, with both VAMC and VPI elements present, I would guess it is safe to say 1896-1897, the year that VAMC was renamed to VPI by the Virginia General Assembly.
Please, could anyone help me date these buttons?

Attachments

• VAMC.Button.1876.Horstmann.Bros.&.Allien.2100.jpg
    VAMC.Button.1876.Horstmann.Bros.&.Allien.2100.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 86
  • VAMC.Button.1880.Waterbury.Button.Co.2100.jpg
    VAMC.Button.1880.Waterbury.Button.Co.2100.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 48
  • VAMC.Button.1896.MC.Lilley.Co.2100.jpg
    VAMC.Button.1896.MC.Lilley.Co.2100.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 48
From reading your post it seems to me you've done the homework. Doubt anybody could get closer on the dates.

Upvote 2
Those are in fine condition. That style of button goes back as far as 1830 and was made for decades.
I agree with DizzyDigger, you have good info in your report.

Upvote 1
I could not find anything in my Alberts button book on it. I did find a Typed label inside the front cover "Mrs. A. H. Albert " With her address type in it also :)

Upvote 2
Hokiestuff let me also welcome you to Treasurenet

Upvote 1
Folks,
please help me date these three buttons.
VAMC - Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College
VPI - Virginia Polytechnic Institute.

Background: Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (VAMC) was founded in 1872. In 1896, VAMC was renamed to Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, which the general populace shortened to Virginia Polytechnic Institute (VPI). In 1970, VPI officially became the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University or simply Virginia Tech (VT).
  • LARGE button - produced by the Horstmann Bros. & Allien, NY.
    According to the Library of Congress records, the firm was known by a variety of names: William H. Horstmann & Sons (1843-1893, Philadelphia), Horstmann Brothers & Company (1850-1852, New York; 1859-1893, Philadelphia), Horstmann Brothers & Allien (1852-1877, New York), Horstmann Sons & Drucker (1845-1849, New York), and the William H. Horstmann Co. (1893-1940, Philadelphia). I approximate that the LARGE button is dated around 1875-1876.
  • The MEDIUM-size button was produced by the Waterbury Button Co.
    It appears to also be from the period as the LARGE one. However, it came from the coat of the VAMC cadet, the coat that I personally purchased at an auction. Judging by the button design (an updated VAMC seal) I presume that the MEDIUM button is from around 1880 or 1885. However, I am not knowledgeable enough about dating buttons, so, this is just a guess.
  • The last, SMALL button is a peculiar one. It has a VAMC seal but has VPI heading. It was produced by the MC Lilley Co. I have no idea how to properly date it but considering its design, with both VAMC and VPI elements present, I would guess it is safe to say 1896-1897, the year that VAMC was renamed to VPI by the Virginia General Assembly.
Please, could anyone help me date these buttons?
Your estimates are good. I just checked out the dates according to the backmarks in the Tice and Bazelon button reference books and judging by Tech’s founding date and other info, your guesses are good. I grew up in that area and still dig there from time to time. Still after a Tech button for my collection. Go Hokies!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back