Help dating a "STERLING" ring

RvaDiggn

Jun 13, 2011
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x, F2 Nautlius DMC IIb
Help dating a "STERLING" ring

A few weeks ago I got permission to hunt the neighbors house that's vacant. It's maybe a late 1800's to early 1900's home. I found a few Civil War items in the yard and a 1902 Barber dime in the ditch while I was using my 1265x. Well I bought a DMCIIb and decided to take it there and hunt it again to see what I might have missed. I ended up finding a .69 3 ringer , an old Micky Mouse pin with the pointy nose, and this ring that is marked "STERLING". What I'd like some help on is the era of this style of jewelry. Could this be a ring from 1800's or sometime in the 1900's. Notice the style of flower.The stone appears to be a ruby but not sure how to tell if its real or glass. Not sure if anyone here will know about antique rings but it's worth the try, thanks!

248681_137186326356787_100001962609922_241728_7371827_n.jpg

Re: Help dating a "STERLING" ring

Hmmm, can anyone see a pic in my first post, cause I don't . :icon_scratch:
fixed

Upvote 0

Photo shows.
Ring I suspect is about 1910 or so. I suspect a early catalog item. Sear roebuck etc.. Most likly it is glass ( the stone that is)

Upvote 0

Look closely at the stone. If it has scratches on it and wear on the facets, it may be glass. But a garnet gets that way, also. Rubies not so much as they are quite a bit harder (9 compared to 6.5, and not on a linear scale). Probably glass or garnet. Looks like too nice of a ring for plastic or epoxy stones--I have found those. Most people don't realize that many species of garnets are NOT expensive. I have personally set hundreds of garnets into silver rings, and are popular with my customers.

Enjoy the fruits of your hunt.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back