invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, I dug this piece of a spoon at a site once occupied by the earliest doctor in the area (late 1790s-1814). Story has it that even George Washington visited his cabin. The property was passed down through his family until his great-grandson was the last to own it. Shortly after his death in 1959 the local fire department burned down the cabin for practice. Since then the area has been turned into a park and trees now cover most of it. I searched the internet and found a diagram (second picture) that indicates it could be from about 1750. I based that on how the broken stem once attached to the bowl. But for some reason I think it is more modern. Can anyone date this piece of a spoon? Any help is appreciated as I intend to donate it along with some other artifacts found at the site to the local historical society for an upcoming exhibit.

Attachments

• Spoon_rear.jpg
    Spoon_rear.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Dating_spoons_chart.jpg
    Dating_spoons_chart.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 156
I'm thinking possibly 18th to early 19th century.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking possibly 18th to early 19th century.

Tamrock, thanks for your dates. I've been looking on the internet for a website or document that helps dates spoons. Do you know of any?

Upvote 0
Amazing history there thats one of those dig everything sites Really cool find did you look for the othet half cant be far Well done

Upvote 0
Tamrock, thanks for your dates. I've been looking on the internet for a website or document that helps dates spoons. Do you know of any?
I looked also and at first I was thinking that heart shape motif was more popular than other periods and maybe key to when it's from. I was unable to find any quite like yours, but some made with the same technique, which could be from the 17th on into the early 19th C. What type of metal is it made of ?

Upvote 0
I looked also and at first I was thinking that heart shape motif was more popular than other periods and maybe key to when it's from. I was unable to find any quite like yours, but some made with the same technique, which could be from the 17th on into the early 19th C. What type of metal is it made of ?

Tamrock, I believe is it pewter. Like you I've been unable to find the heart shape where the stem attached to the bowl. Wish there was more of the spoon - but none was found on 2 return trips. I reached out to an Archaeologist friend of mine who thinks it dates to late 17th c to early 18th. I plan to also look at spoons listed the Ohio History Connection database. Beyond that, I'll probably mark this post solved and move on. Thanks so much for your input & to A2coins as well.

Upvote 0
Tamrock, I believe is it pewter. Like you I've been unable to find the heart shape where the stem attached to the bowl. Wish there was more of the spoon - but none was found on 2 return trips. I reached out to an Archaeologist friend of mine who thinks it dates to late 17th c to early 18th. I plan to also look at spoons listed the Ohio History Connection database. Beyond that, I'll probably mark this post solved and move on. Thanks so much for your input & to A2coins as well.

OOPS, make that late 18th-early 19th century.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back