White's ID5 with Mr. Bill's

Attachments

• coin 09-03-07.gif
    coin 09-03-07.gif
    204.8 KB · Views: 458
  • coin reverse 09-03-07.gif
    coin reverse 09-03-07.gif
    219.8 KB · Views: 467
Chinese cash coin. See my post in the coins section of this forum. i posted one like it there. Great find. It's older than you think. Montana Jim did a great job of identifying it for me. He'll know exactly what it is and when it was used.

Upvote 0
You guys are a bad influence on me. Our local Chinese restaurant has a display of this stuff on the wall. I find myself wondering if there is any way I can get it down and out the door without the cashier noticing. Then again, I respond readily to bad influences. ::)

Chip V.

Upvote 0
Looks like a Chinese Shan-lung commemorative cash, c. 1796-1802, from the Board of Revenue mint in Peking.

Upvote 0
Jim, closer checking of the bottom character on the obverse would seem to indicate that this is a regular Ch'ien-lung Board of Revenue cash coin after all, and not the Shan Lung commemorative. So, the date range that you cite would be right.

My source was the Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800. However, note the following from the link that you posted:

*There is a variety of Ch'ien Lung coin known as the "Shan Lung" commemorative issue. It can be identified by the slightly different style bottom (Lung) character -
This coin is rarer than the regular Ch'ien Lung coins.

Upvote 0
I was going to post both of these coins because the characters looked so close. Then I noticed they weren't exact so I refrained from it.

Here is the one that "honors" Shan Lung 1796-1802

ch\'ien lung 1.jpg

And here is the one that Jim was referring to Ch'ien Lung 1736-1795

ch\'ien lung 2.jpg

Am I seeing these wrong? Or are there differences on both types of coins as compared to Arrowhunters coin?

Upvote 0
diggummup said:
Am I seeing these wrong? Or are there differences on both types of coins as compared to Arrowhunters coin?

The differences are sudtle in the bottom (Lung) obverse charactor between what PBK and I were looking at.

untitled.JPG

And the mint locations on the two you posted are different...

But truthfully... extreamly similar.

PBK said:
Jim, closer checking of the bottom character on the obverse would seem to indicate that this is a regular Ch'ien-lung Board of Revenue cash coin after all, and not the Shan Lung commemorative. So, the date range that you cite would be right...

This coin is rarer than the regular Ch'ien Lung coins.[/color]

Too bad it's NOT the rarer of the two... thanks for the follow up PBK...

Upvote 0
I just want to thank all of you who replied!!!
Arrowhunter

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back