miasdad

Mar 13, 2010

Attachments

• civil war 003edit.JPG
    civil war 003edit.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 0
miasdad said:
hi need help with this thing it say on the top pmt uui ny ny not sure can see the markings that well anything you can tell me will be helpful.thanks

DO NOT TRY AND OPEN THE SHELL!! Yeah, I know it's really old and looks like it should be inert, and it might be. Then again.............
http://www.americandigger.com/SamWhiteAccident.htm
Now as for ID of the round I think we are looking at a parrot shell.
Be careful buddy. I don't want to see your name showing up in a obit!!
http://civilwarartillery.com/

it was dug up with a tiller the guy thought he hit a rock they are also picking up other strange stuff the place has never seen a metal detector so who can i get to disarm this thing ? i am in greenbrier county wv. also could you put it under water and drill it out whats inside it ya i seen where the guy blowed that one up.i am full aware of the danger of the thing also whats the value of the shells i am sure the place is full of this stuff as it is unsearched

miasdad said:
it was dug up with a tiller the guy thought he hit a rock they are also picking up other strange stuff the place has never seen a metal detector so who can i get to disarm this thing ? i am in greenbrier county wv. also could you put it under water and drill it out whats inside it ya i seen where the guy blowed that one up.i am full aware of the danger of the thing also whats the value of the shells i am sure the place is full of this stuff as it is unsearched

Look, putting it under water is no insurance the fuse is not good. The only way the water would help is if the powder got wet before you accidentally set the fuse off and there is no guarantee of that. Surely that close to Virgina someone should have experience with defusing such stuff. Go on the websites for CW artillery shells and ask this question in a contact e-mail. I betcha they could point you toward someone in the area. I could help you with some folk I know like Rafael Eldige who does CW valuations on antiques roadshow if you were in West Tennessee near Shiloh, but your not, sorry. Good luck.

:o Sweet Mother!!
I had a Cannon Ball that had come from Ft. Pickens. The weight was 125 pounds..
I bought this years ago when I was a kid. I had it at my folks house.
My GF at the time told her workers her BF had gotten this thing.
The next call I get is from the Chief of Police.
Did I know this could go off?? Humm Nope! :sign13:

I had the Bomb squad from a military base come to my house along with newspaper reporters, Police Chief, TV reporters and on lookers... Crap! Bomb squad had been nice as they took my cannon ball off in a Bomb Box on wheels.

But after reading the other posts about this. I think my 125 pound ball would have taken the whole house out. Sounds as if there are some pretty sharp cookies out here giving you good advice. I have to side with them on this puppy.
It's a great post about this subject. I heard of another guy in Tenn. that lived after one blew up and took part of his head off.
People still ask about if I got my cannon ball back? and that was 40years ago... Nope! again. I didn't!!

well this shell has been fired it has hit at a glancing blow not sure how this thing gos off but the thing that hits the fuse went down inside it so it may be a dud maybe not hate to let her go but i might have to let them come get it

miasdad said:
well this shell has been fired it has hit at a glancing blow not sure how this thing gos off but the thing that hits the fuse went down inside it so it may be a dud maybe not hate to let her go but i might have to let them come get it

Again, if you can find someone local who has experience with stuff like this you probably can get it defused. If you do give it to the authorities make sure they sign for it. They must understand that what they are taking is private property and is to be returned if possible.

There is a guy in Winchester VA who will do it. You will have to bring it to him and he will drill it on the spot. Look up Harry Ridgeway on the internet. He has done a few of mine.

Alllllllright!!!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: There ya go bud!!
I wonder how he does it?? Non sparking drill bit of some type??

21stTNCav said:
Alllllllright!!!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: There ya go bud!!
I wonder how he does it?? Non sparking drill bit of some type??

He has the shell under water when he drilles it. That shell is worth around $300 + bucks drilled and cleaned. Looks to be in great shape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back