Hello from SC

Spencer.. great to see the adventuous side of you and welcoem to TN.. As for SC, I've been through SC, but have never stop in an area where we could go gem hunting.. But ehre are a few common rules when attempting this for the first time.

1) You can't always trust your eyes.. when you find soemthign or you have bought soemthing.. it's very hard to really know what it is.. without sending it out to have checked or actually looked at by a gem/geologest..

2) Gems/Stones are as close as your back door.. or at your feet.. Walking anywhere can prove benifical to finding many of your first finds.. I myself tend to stumble upon easy finds and most arn't that great of samples.. thou it does help to elarn about them..

3) check the fine print.. Never trust what a book tells you.. when it comes to the properties of the stone.. if thats your thing..

4) location, Location is everything.. I've foudn that friends and family have land which I'm able to explore and even have got them into the act.. Thou many of them think they are going to get rich by finding that big stones.. chances are their not..

5) Hi Hopes.. True its a greatd ay when your able to explore the forest or land for minerals and gems.. We tend to goto local gem mines and sluice or pan for seeded buckets.. Thou we have been able to explore caves and blone out mine areas.. Paid permits of course.. Not all of the finds are museum quality..

6) never give up.. if this is soemthign you and your family is wanting to do.. take a few weekends off and explore gem mines, mineral shows and join road trips liek we are going on in a few weeks.. heading to NC Gem country for some hunting..

as for SC.. I've found the4 whole state can be a hot bed of gem areas.. and can't say for sure where you shoudl start.. Maybe Northwestern SC (mtns) would be best..

Upvote 0
Hey Spencerwllms, I live in SC, and there is a place in Antreville, SC called Diamond Hill Quartz Mine. Their website is www.dhmine.com. I've never been, but I've seen ppl dig up big faceted Amethyst crystals on YouTube!

Upvote 0
Hey Spencerwllms, I live in SC, and there is a place in Antreville, SC called Diamond Hill Quartz Mine. Their website is www.dhmine.com. I've never been, but I've seen ppl dig up big faceted Amethyst crystals on YouTube!
Mojo! you need to go dig those crystals! It's so much fun. never been to the SC mine, but been to mines in ARK. It's a blast!

Upvote 0
Good Morning Mamabear! Yes, I would love to go, just not alone! And I don't know anyone that would be interested in going with me. :( ugh! Wish more People from Upstate South Carolina would join this site! I dont have any friends or family that gets excited as I do over digging in the dirt treasure hunting!! Lol! And to go with someone whom is just not into it makes the experience a real drag! Sometimes I stop myself from getting too excited cause I don't want to look weird! ;) :D I just might have to go alone thou, before it gets too cold out! ;)

Upvote 0
I can't persoanly rule out a trip that way.. and we might just be able to pull it off next Fri.. seems the wife has narrowed down our travels to South/West or east.. I've been tring to get her to sway more towards the NC mtn.. for the fall colors and If i Can pull this off.. I might end up in northen SC.. I'll post more details next week before we leave. "Fingers Crossed"

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back