Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone

What a great site. I'm trying to Id this old coin found in the UK. I think it's early Saxon or Viking. I've trawled the net and various coin books with no luck. Any ideas?

Untitled Collage.jpg

Welcome to Treasurenet Frankyg :thumbsup:

Interesting coin, but how come the two different back grounds, and colours on the pictures :icon_scratch:

SS

Upvote 0
Hi everyone

What a great site. I'm trying to Id this old coin found in the UK. I think it's early Saxon or Viking. I've trawled the net and various coin books with no luck. Any ideas?
Hello and wellcome mate... interesting coin l don't know at first glance but l feel it may be European. a better picture is really needed plus size and weight, l will try with what you have posted and get back to you, Regards Hutch..

View attachment 728388
:hello::icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Well I can tell you now that it is a Saxon coin, but it should be Gold :icon_scratch: the one posted looks to be made from something else..but this is what I believe it is copying.

But it could be caked in crud.:dontknow:

Anglo-Saxons gold ‘thrymsas’

SS

Attachments

• imagesCA86EXJO.jpg
    imagesCA86EXJO.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 309
Upvote 0
Hi Hutch,
Thanks for your reply. The coin is more than likely European as I found it on the Welsh coast in the UK. I think it is early medieval as I have seen similar monarch heads on early Alfred and Danish coins. I tested a small area of the coin and I think it is silver or a silver alloy. The cross suggests a crusader coin. It weighs 1.59 grammes and it's diameter is 13 mm. The difference in colour is caused by me messing about with Paintshop Pro trying to improve the images. The coin is a silvery/pewter colour.

Upvote 0
Hi Hutch,
Thanks for your reply. The coin is more than likely European as I found it on the Welsh coast in the UK. I think it is early medieval as I have seen similar monarch heads on early Alfred and Danish coins. I tested a small area of the coin and I think it is silver or a silver alloy. The cross suggests a crusader coin. It weighs 1.59 grammes and it's diameter is 13 mm. The difference in colour is caused by me messing about with Paintshop Pro trying to improve the images. The coin is a silvery/pewter colour.
As you have said the coin is of Silvery/pewter appearance, it's clearly a imatation of the above coin I posted.

SS

Upvote 0
Thanks SS,

I think you are right. The patina on the coin is very old and it is of similar age to old Roman coins I have found. It could be a contemporary forgery. I've been told that the British Museum in London will take a look at it for free so I think I will send them some details or even the coin if they need it. When I get a reply I'll update this post. Thanks again for your help. This is a great site and I'm looking forward to contributing.
Regards
Frank

Upvote 0
Thanks SS,

I think you are right. The patina on the coin is very old and it is of similar age to old Roman coins I have found. It could be a contemporary forgery. I've been told that the British Museum in London will take a look at it for free so I think I will send them some details or even the coin if they need it. When I get a reply I'll update this post. Thanks again for your help. This is a great site and I'm looking forward to contributing.
Regards
Frank
It was also common for this type of coin to be heavily debased, Gold over Silver, so there is a slim chance, this could be the case in your coin. I hope it is, but thanks for showing it to us, I have a passion for saxon coins.:thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0
You may also wish to submit your coin to the Ashmolean Museum for additional information. They
have a copy that looks like this:
crondall_gold.jpg

It may be the same coin SS used above,
Don....
Edit: [h=4]For General Enquiries please contact +44 (0)1865 278002[/h]Ashmolean Museum, Beaumont Street, Oxford OX1 2PH

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Don, that is fantastic. My coin is exactly like the one you posted. I can clearly see the portrait, including the two crosses around the neck and the 'Beatles' hairstyle! I will contact the Ashmolean Museum and send them some better photos. Thanks again. What a great site this is.

Frank

Upvote 0
You may also wish to submit your coin to the Ashmolean Museum for additional information. They
have a copy that looks like this:
crondall_gold.jpg

It may be the same coin SS used above,
Don....
Edit: For General Enquiries please contact +44 (0)1865 278002

Ashmolean Museum, Beaumont Street, Oxford OX1 2PH
Yes the same coin as I posted.

SS

Upvote 0
Just an update guys,

I sent pics to the British Museum and they agree that the coin appears to be a 7th Century shilling but they are pretty sure that it is a contemporary fake. They have offered to take a look at the coin to confirm so I am posting it to them today.....Watch this space.

Frank

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back