Hello Ben Walker!

kansastide

Dec 28, 2007
Having been new to this since the end of December I kind of wondered what the success rate would be with halves. From reading all the posts I was seeing people with countless skunk boxes and then some of those that were filled with endless silver halves. Made it difficult to figure out which would be more accurate.

I've searched lots of loosed halves and about 10,000 in fed boxed halves. I was averaging maybe 3 40% halves per box the first several boxes and then went 5 straight skunk boxes. If it wasn't for one bank continuing to order me halves every other week (I don't even have an account there), I probably would have stopped.

Well after the two boxes I picked up yesterday I think I'm hooked. Until yesterday, I had found 42
40% halves and one 64 Kennedy 90% half. Yesterday was no different at first. I went through the first $400 of the box getting skunked and was reaching for the next roll when I noticed under the light tarnish of that outer coin, the eagle was different (larger and standing up). Could it be, yep, it was a Walker (1944) and in great condition and detail other than the light tarnish. Alright, my first Walker out of a roll. The next several rolls produced 2 40% halves. I was just finishing the last roll of that first box when one of the coins slipped out of the roll and through my fingers. Didn't think much of it and finished the roll. I grabbed the coin off the table and was getting ready to toss it in the bag when I noticed the Liberty Bell. Flipped it over and there was my first Franklin half (1952). That box gave me my first Franklin and Walker halves as a coin roll hunter. I took pictures, but my camera battery died so I don't have pics to post yet.

Needless to say, the euphoria was short lived as the second box was back to producing the usual 1 40% half and several NIFC coins. Oh well, I'm having fun and relaxing doing this and accumulating silver (slowly) at the same time. Doesn't get any better than this since I'm still finding more silver than I did when metal detecting.

Good luck to everyone and maybe one day I can post about that full roll or really great box of countless silver. Think I'll work on my box of pennies now as I kick back and watch the NCAA basketball tournament.

Upvote 0
There is an obscure Forum Rule that we require you to send your first Ben and First Walker to someone more deserving. I will provide you with an address if you take the bait. Nice Finds, Jim

coolpix9 said:
There is an obscure Forum Rule that we require you to send your first Ben and First Walker to someone more deserving. I will provide you with an address if you take the bait. Nice Finds, Jim

Man, I'm breaking the rules already! LOL
Thanks!

Nice finds, I've about given up on boxes too, I seem to do better with hand rolled VS. boxes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back