Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I found this on Friday at the site of a log cabin dating from the 1920's - 30's
(best guess). I will include a picture of the fireplace that is still standing on site.
I'll tumble it in the next couple of days to clean it up for scrap recycling. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone might know what it's original function my have been. :dontknow:

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• SDC19680.JPG
    SDC19680.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 114
  • SDC19677.JPG
    SDC19677.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 108
  • SDC19679.JPG
    SDC19679.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 103
  • SDC19678.JPG
    SDC19678.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 111
  • SDC19636.JPG
    SDC19636.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 111
Looks like a water main shut-off valve.

Upvote 0
Ditto on the water main shut off. My old place in PA had the same rectangle block shape for a handle on it. Water company had a long handled "wrench" that fit over the rectangle to turn it on/off.

p.s. check the old fireplace over good, it's often used to hide "things". I found a small tub near full of cash in one once. On mine it was behind a stone that the mortar wasn't tight up against it, so it could be removed and installed easily.

Upvote 0
Ditto on the water main shut off. My old place in PA had the same rectangle block shape for a handle on it. Water company had a long handled "wrench" that fit over the rectangle to turn it on/off.

p.s. check the old fireplace over good, it's often used to hide "things". I found a small tub near full of cash in one once. On mine it was behind a stone that the mortar wasn't tight up against it, so it could be removed and installed easily.

Thanks for the confirmation on the water main shut off Dr. Syn! :thumbsup:

That's amazing about you finding the "tub near full of cash" in the fireplace. You can still see where the logs were set into the top of the chimney on this one.
I did some detecting around the chimney area, but it's so heavily overgrown I found very little.
I figure I'll come back again in the spring.

Thanks again for your advice,
Dave

Upvote 0
Yes, it is a BALL VALVE
But, its pretty small, im thinking it might be for a gas line shut off
For the record, its in the off position
What is the inside diameter of the pipe ?
Brady

Upvote 0
Ball valve, but for what? Doesn't look like that old cabin was plumbed for water. Possibly a shut off valve for a diesel storage tank.

Upvote 0
Yes, it is a BALL VALVE
But, its pretty small, im thinking it might be for a gas line shut off
For the record, its in the off position
What is the inside diameter of the pipe ?
Brady

Thank you for your input Brady!
The I.D. of the pipe is 3/4", so I'd assume gas pipe valve? :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your help,
Dave

Attachments

• SDC19677-crop.JPG
    SDC19677-crop.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0
All the gas valves I've seen used flare or compression fittings, not flat, gasket-like connections.

Upvote 0
All the gas valves I've seen used flare or compression fittings, not flat, gasket-like connections.

I don't know what to tell you bud ... personally I have a lot of experience with gas, just not this kind! :laughing7:
Dave

Upvote 0

Thank you for your input Brady!
The I.D. of the pipe is 3/4", so I'd assume gas pipe valve? :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your help,
Dave
3/4" is a common water supply line size also.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back