heavy steel pin with a pivoting brass tip ?

Comanche Todd

Jan 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IM002479.jpg

anybody know what this was used for? it's a heavy steel pin with a ring on the top and a pivoting brass tip.

is it something from the rail road or old horse buggy or something?

it's about 6" inches long, and looks old

Don't know the actual name of it...but we use them with the farm emplements.

;) RR

Upvote 0
how old do you think it is? with the brass piece like that, I think it might be pretty old? most modern hitch pins use a cotter pin instead of a pivoting brass piece

Upvote 0
There are all kinds of hitch or pit pins some of them have no locking device some have hair pins or other pins to hold them in and some have spring loaded little balls to hold them locked in. Dont think it will be too old.

Upvote 0
Comanche Todd said:
how old do you think it is? with the brass piece like that, I think it might be pretty old? most modern hitch pins use a cotter pin instead of a pivoting brass piece

Probably just this side of the 30's, as a wild guess. Could be quite a bit older. I have some not too different on my tractor (but that's a 1956 and is relatively classic now). Farm technology evolves but stays amazingly consistant. It's about the right size for the retaining pins on a 3-point hitch drawbar, which only goes back to the 30's. But if it's for something horse drawn, it could go back much further.

Anything recent will say "Made in China"

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back