heavy ring..did they silver plate or gold plate it.

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1117181422.jpg
    1117181422.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 100
Love the real heavy part and the pic....I don't see any plating flaking off. If the shiny exterior is flaking off, bummer. Otherwise, how about another pic or two?
Anything written inside?

Upvote 0
nothing on it.. at first i thought i saw a k but it disappeared.
owg..
where the spot is on the side i took a razor blade and scraped it.
it was soft and shiny..that's why i'm thinking lead

Attachments

• aaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaa.jpg
    933.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like silver plated brass, but usually the silver is more of a “wash” and the wear is gradual vs chunks missing. The silver coating has the characteristics of a “gold fillled” ring. Most of my old rings have some kind of stamp inside. Maybe it feels heavy because it is unusually wide?

Upvote 0
What does it read on your at pro that will give a much better idea!!! Tommy

Upvote 0
it rang up at 68 and is non magnetic..
it's too heavy to be aliuminum

Upvote 0
Take to a jeweler to be positive or get an acid test kit.I pick up a lot of lead with my AT Gold and it rings up in the range you said 60's but so does gold. Could it be white gold ring of high carat?You really won't know until you get it tested.

Upvote 0
Congrats guy, nice find on the ring!

When I first started reading I was thinking silver plated pewter, but now more like white gold. The modern electronic testers have the ability to discriminate value from junk by reading the chemicals oxidized residue. For instance, if you've got a really fine sense of smell you can tell gold plated brass just by smelling it. What you're smelling is the brass oxides seeping out through the plating. You can also rub it between your fingers and smell them. You might check the specific gravity.

Good luck and best wishes!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back