Headstamp Guys this ones for you.

Beshires1

Feb 5, 2016
Water Valley, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Several home built detectors, a Garrett Money Hunter TR, and a Whites Prizim IV, Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this and cleaned it up to discover its two headstamps one is a UMC Co" New Club" No 12 and the other is a UMC Co "CLUB' No 12 they apear to have been pressed one inside the other. the primers appear to be punched out but there seems to be something copper between clasped between the two headstamps. Anyone seen anything like this before? what is the dating of the two headstamps? 0709171449.jpg0709171449a.jpg0709171450.jpg0709171450a.jpg0709171451.jpg
'

I wonder if it's possibly someone's little homemade coin holder from days of old?

Upvote 0
The Club dates from the late 1880s to the 1890s and the New Club to the late 1890s to the 1900s, or thereabouts.

Upvote 0
Been wondering the same thing, but would hate to destroy the item as found.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I had some trouble finding my info I had written down. According to what I wrote down the UMC Club No 12 dates to 1885-1891, or thereabouts, and the New Club dates to 1895-1902, or thereabouts. This info came from Turtlefoot, I think his username was, who used to have a lot of online stuff about shotgun shells. A lot of his info came from old gun catalogues and so forth, so the dates arent exact, and a lot of these old shells may have been in use for a while before or after the dates he came up with. Your photos are not so great, though, if you can upload some better ones,I wouldnt mind seeing what you have there..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just how much do you think you stand to loose?
Intriguing question. Having found countless U. M. C. headstamps, I know that the headstamp value isn't much except to a collector of such, but finding two pressed together, worn but still legible, no corrosion, worn from maybe pocket wear, and maybe containing a coin? I know these headstamps are old and were purposefully fitted together, wouldn't be any reason to do that for no reason. Opening it now might lose its mystery or add to the mystery. Having survived buried underground as long as it has it would be a shame to destroy it now, hoping it might contain something more valuable.

Upvote 0
Intriguing question. Having found countless U. M. C. headstamps, I know that the headstamp value isn't much except to a collector of such, but finding two pressed together, worn but still legible, no corrosion, worn from maybe pocket wear, and maybe containing a coin? I know these headstamps are old and were purposefully fitted together, wouldn't be any reason to do that for no reason. Opening it now might lose its mystery or add to the mystery. Having survived buried underground as long as it has it would be a shame to destroy it now, hoping it might contain something more valuable.

I'd open it.

Upvote 0
Been wondering the same thing, but would hate to destroy the item as found.

Go for it. Not much collector value of just the brass rim from a shotshell; especially altered or mushed.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back