Headphones

The idea here is to eliminate outside noise so you can hear the subtle sounds you MD makes. Some lower end machines just make a single beep with little variation on the sounds (no idea what the Tesoro does) So if it is a single beep no difference in sound between a pull tab and a coin, the advantages are not to draw attention to yourself and not to drive others around you nuts..
Otherwise yes they make a big difference if you use the subtle differences in sound to decide to dig or not.. Comfort is also a big deal to me.. I use in-ear phones that seal 36db or outside noise, basically Christmas tree type ear plugs with sound drivers in the middle.. Hope that helps.

Thanks! The cibola has one tone but it is quiet the deeper the target and louder the more shallow, obviously. It may help me hear quieter, deeper targets?

Yes, they do make difference when in public places, as most machines don't have volume control...!
As with my Cibola, I like to (hear) when the tones break off on my discriminator, to (more or less)
get an idea what my target is, besides, they look COOL- more "professional"-looking! 8-)

The idea here is to eliminate outside noise so you can hear the subtle sounds you MD makes. Some lower end machines just make a single beep with little variation on the sounds (no idea what the Tesoro does) So if it is a single beep no difference in sound between a pull tab and a coin, the advantages are not to draw attention to yourself and not to drive others around you nuts..
Otherwise yes they make a big difference if you use the subtle differences in sound to decide to dig or not.. Comfort is also a big deal to me.. I use in-ear phones that seal 36db or outside noise, basically Christmas tree type ear plugs with sound drivers in the middle.. Hope that helps.

Looking at this and your sig. Why do you use the FM transmitter instead of Bluetooth? Is that to prevent lag? I was thinking about doing a really similar setup with a Bluetooth transmitter on my MD and a pair of Bluetooth headphones. You can get the whole setup for about 50 bucks on amazon.

FM has no lag, Bluetooth does. Even a few milliseconds will make you nuts trying to figure out where the target really is. Also I already had the receiver and in-ears and my first few were DIY built transmitters.. Of all the posts about using BlueTooth, I have seen very few that had good results.

Well I picked up a cheap FM transmitter and FM radio from Walmart today. I will have to see how it works. Does your setup have any static or any noticeable degradation in quality?

Well I picked up a cheap FM transmitter and FM radio from Walmart today. I will have to see how it works. Does your setup have any static or any noticeable degradation in quality?
nope crystal clear on lowest power, as the battery voltage drops sometime I get a little static when I move a certain way. When this happens I bump it up to the next output level.
Hope you didn't waste your money on something too cheap.. $40 is a great price for this transmitter http://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Transmitter-Broadcast-Adjustable-Frequency/dp/B00IMWRK60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back