20240330_192805.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 20240330_192751.jpg
    20240330_192751.jpg
    963.6 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 4
World's oldest coin? Perhaps a petrified Neco candy? 🤣😂🤣

Maybe a native game piece?

Picked this up off a gravel bar by the mouth of one of the larger tributaries of the Monongahela River. I believe it to be slate but I could certainly be wrong. I have found many stone tools in this general area over the past 5 or 6 years. Nothing like this though. What the eff is it?
Does it stick to a magnet?
Looks like a electrical box knock out.
The little divot on the edge is the give away.

That’s a tough one, it sure looks like a coin to me with that hint of a lip and the perfectly uniform thickness… if it’s slate or another stone I don’t know, I keep thinking of maybe a situation similar to the porcelain disks in old jar lids but again stone? Any chance it’s clay?

That’s a tough one, it sure looks like a coin to me with that hint of a lip and the perfectly uniform thickness… if it’s slate or another stone I don’t know, I keep thinking of maybe a situation similar to the porcelain disks in old jar lids but again stone? Any chance it’s clay?
Definitely highly polished Stone

Picked this up off a gravel bar by the mouth of one of the larger tributaries of the Monongahela River. I believe it to be slate but I could certainly be wrong. I have found many stone tools in this general area over the past 5 or 6 years. Nothing like this though. What the eff is it?
Any update to questions?

-Appears nearly perfectly round.
Very flat on both sides.
The two edges are uniformly beveled.-

Approximately 3 dimes wide is roughly= 2, 3/16in

Looks modern made from the pictures.
Possibly a more modern jewelry piece.
The attachment point for a chain has been broken off at the chipped area.

Either that or a coaster for a demitasse.

Edit- Have you done a streak test?

Last edited:
Aluminum is lighter than a steel slug.
Your absolutely right it is. Its also real easy to tell aluminum from stone. Its also easy to tell stone from pottery. This disc is stone. As far as it being historic with the demitasse cup example--I don't know. That's as reasonable a guess as I've heard. Much more reasonable than a slug. Did early settlers use stone coasters and drink out of demitasse cups?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back