✅ SOLVED Have no idea

CUDitBordlemay

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My kids and I found this at a site we visit from time to time about a month ago. It is sitting at the moment at the Berks county historical society library. Many people have looked at it, and still have no clue on what it is. On the side it reads " patented June 18th 1857" the other side you can see the last few letters of the word Philadelphia, but it is worn to the point where you can see nothing more. Anyone has any idea on what it may be?

Attachments

• 1408835049602.jpg
    1408835049602.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 101
  • CAM00157.jpg
    CAM00157.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 104
  • CAM00159.jpg
    CAM00159.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 103
  • CAM00158.jpg
    CAM00158.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 114
possibly a part off a Case brand double row corn planter as seen from this image.

Attachments

• ardrey033c.jpg
    ardrey033c.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Upvote 0
My first thought was "butter pat maker".

The patented date should tell the story but I found anything remotely similar yet.

Any evidence of the rod being hammered. Is there a sharp edge on any part of it?

Need more info.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
The Rod doesn't seam to be hammered. Totally made of brass. I had the same thought of a stamp. There are no sharp edges on it. The corn planter is a good idea, the site we were at there was an old inn that dated in that time frame. But, it is also on the side of a small mountain.

Upvote 0
It seems to me that when I was dabbling in antiques many years ago, something like that showed up in a box of old phonograph parts.

Upvote 0
I can get a better pictures, But like a said, at the moment it's sitting in a county historical society so it may be a day or two till i get it back.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the guesses guys, But I think I got it. I toke a chance on cleaning it a little more, and the name "Willcox" came into view over top on the word Philadelphia. After some time on internet I best guess is that it is a part off a sewing machine. The company "Gibbs & Willcox" had ties in the Philadelphia area. I also found a patent on a machine on June 2nd of 1857. so it's close. Thanks for taking a look, and if I find anything odd, you'll know.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back