Hatchet???

okierelic

Jan 20, 2013
It's only about a quarter inch thick. The notch really looks like it was made for pulling nails but if you look at how the handle ties in it looks as though the notch would have to be on top which would be useless for that purpose. The back has obviously been used for a hammer though because of how thin it is I can't imagine it was intended for driving nails. There is a thin piece of steel riveted to the handle end which appears to be for reinforcement. The handle doesn't seem to have been riveted on which I would expect in a more modern artifact. Truth is I'm really hoping for something like a fur trade relic but not too optimistic.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Okie

ForumRunner_20130206_101510.png

ForumRunner_20130206_101536.png

ForumRunner_20130206_101602.png

Upvote 0
Shingling or roofing hatchet. Looks old but hard to say from pics only.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Hello Okie,

I see no socket, and wonder how this would be attached to a handle...

Scratch-Head.jpg

Upvote 0
There was never a socket on this 1. It was installed by splitting the wood then wrapping it with leather or whatever as a binding. Here's a pic of one.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130207_153001.png
    ForumRunner_20130207_153001.png
    324.7 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
It does look like a hatchet. As an alternative idea, could it be a splitting wedge?

Upvote 0
My guess is that is has delaminated to the point that the handle attachment (which was offset, on the left side) broke off. At any rate, I feel that roofing hatchet is correct, due to the nail puller notch on it, and the once reinforced hammer end to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pretty sure it delaminated....I have found several that have

Upvote 0
nhbenz said:
My guess is that is has delaminated to the point that the handle attachment (which was offset, on the left side) broke off. At any rate, I feel that roofing hatchet is correct, due to the nail puller notch on it, and the once reinforced hammer end to it.

Good call Nhbenz!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back