Has anyone used the automax pinpointer and what are your thoughts on it?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had two automax pinpointers. While adequate, they are easy to break and very large to carry around. I still have one that I put heavy epoxy around the barrel to keep it from breaking like the first one. Kellyco practically gives them away with the purchase of a detector. I wouldn't recommend it compared to the other brands out there. But, I use a $15.00 Harbor Tools "detector" pinpointer. Monty

I have two of the Automax pin pointers. I can't imagine breaking one unless you use it for a pry bar, or back over it with a bulldozer. They were bought 18 months ago and the 2nd one is still in the bubble wrap. I carry it in my left hand with my Lesche.

The one I broke I was carrying it in its holster.on my belt. I bent down and it was between my thigh and my side and it broke in half where the barrel enters the squred off part. I know better than to pry with it than you. Monty

kenley said:
I have two of the Automax pin pointers. I can't imagine breaking one unless you use it for a pry bar, or back over it with a bulldozer. They were bought 18 months ago and the 2nd one is still in the bubble wrap. I carry it in my left hand with my Lesche.

lol i carry mine with my digger too, don't have time to waste stowing tools away, lol

i had the auto max and gave it to my father inlaw he liked the vibrate feature because he's hard of hearing but to me it would be great if your doing a remake of star wars out in your yard and ready to ward off darth vader ha ha ha!

I've got a brand new one still in the box. it's for sale 30 dollars shipped

They work well, but they are sooo huge, I use a tinytec, love it, don't know if they're around anymore.

I like mine but boy is it big and bulky

Best pinpointer out there is the Garrett Pro Pointer, but for the money the Harbor Freight job works great.

I had the White's pinpointer, low quality always an issue with it. Automax, had that one too, too long and awkward to carry with you, plus you almost have to be right on top of the target to get a signal and poor results from the side of the probe, and even though Kelly Co threw one in with one of my orders, after a few hrs using it was more of a hassle trying to pull it from the belt since it is extremely long and not very sensitive. Finally I bought a Garrett. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. I have tripled my recovery time while using the Garrett Pro Pinpointer. Totally awesome on sensitivity on the end and sides. So remember, if you want to hunt sometimes you need to spend a lil more on items to improve your finds. :thumbsup:

I used one for 6 years no problems until it finally broke... I got another used one that kinda works as a back up, dose not work as good as the first. My main pin pointer is now a Sunray that i'm not 100% happy with too.

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back