Has anyone made thier own shaker table?

J

Jaxom

I already have a Desert Eagle panner, and have high hopes that Santa will bring me a portable clean-up banker by the same company. But I'd REALLY like a small table top or something I can mount ontop of a shop stand style shaker table. I've done alot of googling to see what's out there on the net. Best I came up with was a diagram about a shaker table done by the British Mining Minestry for use in India. I downloaded the PDF of this and it's a hand operated table, and although it has a diagram, it's not really plans.

Any suggestions would be appericated!

Jax

Upvote 0
Thats a sifter, a little different from what your wanting, I think. With shaker tables, its best to buy one. The stroke and draw is tough to get right. I have seen them done, but it does take alot of playing around with.

Really not worth it if your only running small loads, there are easier ways of doing it.

But if you really want to, start with the ribbed rubber mat and glue that down to a PERFECTLY FLAT piece of something that will not warp. Wood is out, unless you run it dry.

Make your support (table frame, legs) out of some very stiff metal and have all four legs adjustable and tightly locking. Bolt them down to concrete, preferably.

Run a shaft under the middle of the table, and use weights of some sort to offset the spin, making it wobbly. You'll need pulley reduction to hook up to an electric motor, so it's not spinning too fast.

Ideally, a table should draw one way fast, and back up slow, but a cam action is really tough to do for a homebuilt one.

Rain gutter on one side of the table, and another section at the lower end. The section on the side should be split in two sections with a divider, the top part is your good stuff, the lower half is your middlings, and the gutter at the bottom is your waste.

The table should be run almost perfectly flat, let the vibration do the work, not gravity. Adjust the legs so that the corner where the raingutters come together is the lowest, but only by maybe 1/4 inch if your table is say-4 feet by 4 feet.

Getting the right balance between the pulleys (for spin), the weights(for the action) and the legs (for level) is the tough part.

Your're right, although I apperciate the imput, that's more like a classifying screen. I'm talking about a table top sized shaker table. The closest I've found is a hand driven job like this....

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/scripts/dfid/database/fulldetails.cfm?id=81

Page 42 shows an overhead diagram of this small table. Even this small it's still a two man job, since one person has to crank it, and another feeding the deck. I could probably build this deck. Found alot of parts here...

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/store.html

Save for universal ball joint and the off set cam.

Thing is though, this really isn't a shaker table. It's more of a slider table. There's some things the diagram doesn't detail. Like how tall are those riffles? What angle are they set to? How big is the table?

Jax

Looks pretty small. The one I described above is a shaker. Sliders (with the cam) are better, but shakers work OK too.

On the one in the picture, the riffles are set going with the flow of material, but at different angles. The lighter material flows in one direction, the heavies catch along the riffles and are dragged back in the opposite direction.

The one I described is more like a sluice, with the ribbed rubber mat going perpendicular to the flow of material.

The trick is to set the slope so that the lighter stuff goes off the end, while the heavier stuff and middlings get drawn to the side. Its a very small slope. and it can be powered by a 1/2 HP electric, which if I remember correctly, spins at about 3100 RPM, so a pulley reduction is needed, not the opposite like in the one on the link.
A small gas engine could be used, too, but I don't know what range they spin at.

We used a homemade one like the one I described at the end of our rod mill. The middlings were passed through another grind and put through a wheel wet.

Definately not a professional setup, but hey, I was just getting started, LOL! It worked OK though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back