Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took a look at the waterproof kit and it looks to be a glorified baggy with a wire for $60, think I'll pass on that.

Me, don't think I'd even need the control box, headphones will do. Hunt mostly very calm waters, no worries about dunking them. Would miss the pinpoint but I can live without it at the beach where my targets are shallow rings captured with a big scoop.

So I guess my question is, where does this wire attach to on the coil, the contact ? Does H2O really kill wireless transmission so it can't transmit 4 ft ?
Any other concerns ?

Yep it kills it. Wire attaches next to charging dots on coil. But let me say using Deus lite(just headphones) you are very limited as far as changing settings are concerned. I have used the baggy as you call it and its pretty much that. I use a waterproof case I feel much better about. One thing is for sure you really don't want to dunk your controller.

Right, limited on settings without the box.
I would have to develop a basic program or 2 suited for water hunting and be content with that.

I have an AT Pro that works just fine in the water, should be content with that but I rarely leave well enough alone. So this wire connects to the charging dots or just generally by them ? Does the wire have some kind of clip terminal on the end, like the charger ?

Yeah a plastic clip sides on the hump beside the dots and is secured by oring. You can go on YouTube and find people that made wire out of coaxial wire(certain ohm) and bought waterproof case. I love my Deus but charging clip and water kit could use major improvements

Does it actually connect to the charging dots or just draw and transmit the signal via proximity to coil ?

Like you say, probably numerous home brew setups on video, I'll check into that.
Not something I would do this year anyhow, detecting in the water is winding down here in MI, most water already pretty chilly.

This is the waterproof case I would recommend. It also allows you to press the buttons.
394da908b8edda2a4f706fe1a73c6e8e.jpg
ae4785d75861fc65681f7327a9d4daea.jpg
c8599974346f9d2c4392b2302c1bb089.jpg

And this will be my home brew antenna between the coil and control box.
de9f6ee907f57a7d46f63ef433e0153d.jpg

Does it actually connect to the charging dots or just draw and transmit the signal via proximity to coil ?

Like you say, probably numerous home brew setups on video, I'll check into that.
Not something I would do this year anyhow, detecting in the water is winding down here in MI, most water already pretty chilly.

No it just is beside them. Jadocs has the idea above. That's way to go

I have the Deus waterproof kit and I've used it in saltwater. As DirtStalker says, its just a glorified bag. I also have a nice Aryca Tide case that I use more often for the controller when its raining. However, that glorified bag has one benefit that the phone cases do not have.... it has the 1/8" headphone jack coming out of it, so you can plug in some waterproof earbuds. If you plan on making your own home grown waterproof setup, you need to figure out how to get audio out of the thing!! The WS4 puck is water resistant and I've hunted for days in pouring rain with it, with no issues... but I wouldn't submerge the WS4 puck.

The big question is how deep of water do you plan on going in? If only waist deep, you'll be fine making your own kit and using the WS4 headphones... just don't put your head under the water. If you plan on putting your head under... then the Deus kit will allow you to have audio via the jack to waterproof earbuds.

A member on here treblehunter does a lot of lake hunting and there was a "leak" in his Deus waterproof bag a couple months ago. It ruined his controller. He posted that XP quickly sent him a new controller AND a new waterproof kit. So, something to keep in mind, if you drop the $60 on the XP kit, they will cover any damage if it leaks... I doubt you will have that sort of luck if you make your own kit. treblehunter also said he was told they were coming out with a more robust waterproof kit when the new accessories release.... but we know how that it... I'll believe it when I see it!! There is definitely a market for a more robust kit from XP though.

Last edited:
Do you have a pic of how the XP kit allows the waterproof connections of headphones? I bet I could fashion something similar on the Acyra.

Do you have a pic of how the XP kit allows the waterproof connections of headphones? I bet I could fashion something similar on the Acyra.

Here is one http://www.golddetectors.gr/photo/xp-deus-waterproof-armband.jpg All it is, is a short headphone cord with a male 1/8" and female 1/8" jack on either end. It's molded through the case with the male connector on the inside and female on the outside. You could no doubt drill a hole in the Aryca case and solder together a wire, then use epoxy or silicone to seal around the wire.... but if you do, be sure you get that seal very well sealed!!

I make a lot of my own Deus stuff including these two things I posted here 1) http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/481002-my-deus-ws4-universal-puck-adapter.html and 2) http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/504616-ws4-backphone-modifications.html

But in this case opted to buy the crappy overpriced XP waterproof kit. haha It seemed like a cheap insurance policy to pay the $60 and if it leaked, then XP would replace all damaged parts under warranty. I hope that XP will come out with a nice hard case with an integrated mount and headphone wire all built in.

Hey thanks for the pic and great work on the headphones. I'm going to do s little research and come up with a foolproof way to get some waterproof headphones in.

Hey thanks for the pic and great work on the headphones. I'm going to do s little research and come up with a foolproof way to get some waterproof headphones in.

I saw it mentioned somewhere else about perhaps trying to use a foodsaver! ha I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it would work... but I do have a foodsaver. You could always drop the remote into a foodsaver bag, cut a slit in the side of the bag and put earbuds through the slit and plug them in. Then put a drop of silicone caulk over the slit. Stick it in the foodsaver and pull a vacuum on it. The vacuum should disperse the caulk and make the slit where the earbuds go in waterproof. Obviously you would have to do this a few hours before each outing so the caulk would dry... but it'd be cheap and you could do it each time before water hunting. Not tested by me! But in theory it seems it would be quick and easy if you already own a foodsaver.

I'm thinking of finding a small rubber grommet like this and siliconing the outside ledge to the case, then have s tiny opening through the middle for the speaker wire, then siliconing the inside of the grommet where the wire passes through.

Idea not fully thought out yet, but when I decide on s solution it will be waterproof.

0fe34442cc067193cdb506f5bdc7d317.jpg

Good point about warranty issues, didn't think about that - Didn't think it would even apply since they specifically point out in warranty info that moisture damage is not included.

"Corrosion of electronic circuits due to water ingress" as they put it.

Me, I will go up to the neck if i get a good signal on an outside swing at shoulder level, but never dunk my head, more often nut/chest level. So in the calm lakes I hunt I'd have no reservations about the headphones ,,, Though just when you think something will never happen is usually when it does.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back