Has anybody seen a "U.S. - I.D." rosette before?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 12.45.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 12.45.26 PM.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 12.45.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 12.45.40 PM.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 86
Not to worry .. This one has me stumped, too!

Upvote 0
I am pretty sure it is a United States - Infantry Division rosette, but I can't find anything to substantiate my suspicions.

Upvote 0
Would you think this could be from the Spanish American War or WWI? Maybe a bit more info where the digger found it could help! house site,regiment camp area! just something like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
creskol,

It looks similar in size to the insignia we used to wear on our US Air Force "Bus Driver's" Service Cap. This style cap is known as a "peaked cap". The "overtall" lettering looks Art Deco period to me...no later than very early 40's. VPNAVY, mentioned bicycle insignia....I was thinking automobile related. My first thought, like you, was US Infantry Division but I don't think so with the stylized letters. And, although I'm not "Army", most of the Infantry Division items I've seen identify specific infantry divisions i.e., 1st ID, 2nd ID, etc.

At the bottom of the "reverse" photo, there looks to be a pin or post sticking out of the item. If there is enough left to tell if it was threaded, that would lend credence to the hat insignia idea...our AF ones had screw on type binding posts.

Hopefully I haven't muddied the waters too much! Cool item no matter what it is.

Happy digging!

Batch

By the way creskol, did you see my reply to you here about the class ring?

Attachments

• 800px-USAF_Service_Cap.jpg
    800px-USAF_Service_Cap.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Upvote 0
creskol,

It looks similar in size to the insignia we used to wear on our US Air Force "Bus Driver's" Service Cap. This style cap is known as a "peaked cap". The "overtall" lettering looks Art Deco period to me...no later than very early 40's. VPNAVY, mentioned bicycle insignia....I was thinking automobile related. My first thought, like you, was US Infantry Division but I don't think so with the stylized letters. And, although I'm not "Army", most of the Infantry Division items I've seen identify specific infantry divisions i.e., 1st ID, 2nd ID, etc.

At the bottom of the "reverse" photo, there looks to be a pin or post sticking out of the item. If there is enough left to tell if it was threaded, that would lend credence to the hat insignia idea...our AF ones had screw on type binding posts.

Hopefully I haven't muddied the waters too much! Cool item no matter what it is.

Happy digging!

Batch

By the way creskol, did you see my reply to you here about the class ring?

Thanks Batch. The back actually has two nubs remaining on it, one at the top of the photo which is hard to see, and the more visible one at the bottom, and arranged perpendicular to the lettering. They are more suggestive of wire (such as seen on rosettes) rather than studs. It is an interesting item for sure, but one that has me scratching my head.

Yes, I did see that about the ring. That was a great story. Did you get a photo back of its reunion with the owner?

Upvote 0
United States Interior Department rosette? Mounted US park rangers doesn't seem too far fetched, right?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back