✅ SOLVED Has anybody seen a saw medallion like this?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 4.39.08 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s one I found this year. American. No St. George. I like the British one better.

Attachments

• D34FE38F-B6BC-4F67-904B-F7662F7372E8.jpeg
    D34FE38F-B6BC-4F67-904B-F7662F7372E8.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 2
British saws carried medallions with the image of Saint George mounted on horseback and slaying a dragon.

I’ve seen that statement on at least one American website, but I believe it’s a misinterpretation of a statement from other reference literature that “saws from BRITTAIN carried medallions with the image of Saint George mounted on horseback and slaying a dragon”. Note that there are two ‘Ts’ in the word ‘Brittain’ because it refers to a surname, and not to Britain as a country (with one ‘T’).

The medallion you imaged was used by “Frederick Brittain” of Sheffield, England (1876-1887) and also by “Brittain, Samuel Swann & Co” (operating between 1841-1954, but bought out by Frederick in 1868). Both companies were based at the “St George’s Works” on Shoreham Street. The latter was bought out by Marsh Brothers in 1918 but the manufacturing premises were kept on under the old name.

Upvote 4
I said British not Brittain. would a person from sheffield be British?
I’ve seen that statement on at least one American website, but I believe it’s a misinterpretation of a statement from other reference literature that “saws from BRITTAIN carried medallions with the image of Saint George mounted on horseback and slaying a dragon”. Note that there are two ‘Ts’ in the word ‘Brittain’ because it refers to a surname, and not to Britain as a country (with one ‘T’).

The medallion you imaged was used by “Frederick Brittain” of Sheffield, England (1876-1887) and also by “Brittain, Samuel Swann & Co” (operating between 1841-1954, but bought out by Frederick in 1868). Both companies were based at the “St George’s Works” on Shoreham Street. The latter was bought out by Marsh Brothers in 1918 but the manufacturing premises were kept on under the old n

Upvote 1

The medallion you imaged was used by “Frederick Brittain” of Sheffield, England (1876-1887) and also by “Brittain, Samuel Swann & Co” (operating between 1841-1954, but bought out by Frederick in 1868). Both companies were based at the “St George’s Works” on Shoreham Street. The latter was bought out by Marsh Brothers in 1918 but the manufacturing premises were kept on under the old name.
Thank you for that. I had no idea.

Upvote 2
I said British not Brittain. would a person from sheffield be British?

Yes, I know. And I presume you took that reference from this website (same statement and image name: ‘clip_image030_thumb’):

Sheffield is of course both English and British. All I’m saying is that I think that the generalised statement is based on a confusion between Brittain and Britain taken from another source. It has been regurgitated elsewhere too, implying that the St George mark is generically British, whereas in this case it relates to a specific saw manufacturer called “Brittain”.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back