Hard Times Token, Plume Button.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with the Patriot to check out a few new spots, and it turned out to be a button day from an early trash pit full of oyster shells. Did manage the "Millions for defense, not one cent for tribute" Hard Times Token, a trade bead, and quite a few flat buttons. The most interesting find was the Prince of Wales plume button, which I was hoping was military at first, but looks to mostly be a livery button or the such.
026.JPG025.JPG023.JPG

Upvote 0
I guess your ground has thawed out.

Nice button even if not military.

Mostly thawed out! But I can deal with a slow thaw if it keeps the bugs away! Any button that's not plain is a cool find for me, at first I thought this one was a fleur-de-lis at first.
I guess your ground has thawed out.

Nice button even if not military.

Designs on old metal buttons are outstanding finds all the time! Keep diggin'.

the 3 feather plumes - thru a crown - with ribbon
is symbol of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers
nice find

nice stuff!

well the variety of targets were slim but still great to get out for the day... Nice finds buddy!!

Yup, definitely a button day, but with targets that age you always have a chance for a good one! And good to get out after a long winter - now 15 - 20 CM of snow tonight!
well the variety of targets were slim but still great to get out for the day... Nice finds buddy!!

That's what had me thinking military at the beginning, seeing the 23 Reg buttons before with the prince of wales plume on them. Unique buttons are always welcome to the collection!
the 3 feather plumes - thru a crown - with ribbon
is symbol of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers
nice find

Not the typical livery so not sure it is, and not military either. Too bad because an early 23rd officer would be a good and fairly rare find. I once owed both a nice officer one, and a good early pattern pewter, both fairly valuable buttons. I'd really like to find a Rev War one!

If there's buttons in the dump, dig it out! The deeper you get the better the condition will be, and anything can turn up.

We were talking about doing that, dig down a couple feet and see what shows up, as Patriot came up with a pewter that was toasty but possibly something good. Need to make myself a portable shaker screen. What I still can't figure out is where the house was, unless coastal erosion got it, as we were maybe 75 yards off the bank.
I couldn't find an exact match for the button, but regardless it'll look good when I get a button display going!

Not the typical livery so not sure it is, and not military either. Too bad because an early 23rd officer would be a good and fairly rare find. I once owed both a nice officer one, and a good early pattern pewter, both fairly valuable buttons. I'd really like to find a Rev War one!

If there's buttons in the dump, dig it out! The deeper you get the better the condition will be, and anything can turn up.

We were talking about doing that, dig down a couple feet and see what shows up, as Patriot came up with a pewter that was toasty but possibly something good. Need to make myself a portable shaker screen. What I still can't figure out is where the house was, unless coastal erosion got it, as we were maybe 75 yards off the bank.
I couldn't find an exact match for the button, but regardless it'll look good when I get a button display going!

You don't need a screen at all, and even if I had one I wouldn't use it for something like that. Just draw it out, maybe 4' x 4' and dig down 6" at a time. Every 6" scan the dirt you threw out as well as in the inside of the hole and you'll find targets. It can be pretty slim but it's quite a rush getting a coin signal at 3 feet because you know it ain't going to be modern trash. By the way you dig down right until the dirt starts to change. Fun stuff, every bit as good as detecting, and sometimes better because the condition can be great. Just a matter of finding the right target, and you'd be crazy not to do it. I have found Rev War buttons that were just a few inches out of my detector's reach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back