Handle with Monsters Head & Roman Coins

John_L

Apr 26, 2010
Handle with Monster's Head & Roman Coins

Hi,
I’m from Britain and sort of new to this hobby. I haven’t found anything exciting yet, but today an interesting item popped up. It appears to be a handle of sorts??? Looks to be a hand-tool, a knife or a sword cane? There is some beast on it – if you look one way, it is a sea monster, but from the other side it is a chimera. I’m having difficulties dating this thing as the site has seen habitation from Roman to Victorian times. I tend to think that the handle is of North European origin and would date to 17th century, but that would only be a guess based on my finds from that field. Among other finds today were 2 roman coins, George III penny and a silver 1872 6d.
Any ideas on the age, origin and purpose of the handle will be much appreciated.

John.

Attachments

• P1060745.jpg
    P1060745.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 363
  • P1060746.jpg
    P1060746.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 368
  • P1060747.jpg
    P1060747.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 366
Upvote 0
Re: Handle with Monster's Head & Roman Coins

John_L said:
Hi,
I’m from Britain and sort of new to this hobby. I haven’t found anything exciting yet, but today an interesting item popped up. It appears to be a handle of sorts??? Looks to be a hand-tool, a knife or a sword cane? There is some beast on it – if you look one way, it is a sea monster, but from the other side it is a chimera. I’m having difficulties dating this thing as the site has seen habitation from Roman to Victorian times. I tend to think that the handle is of North European origin and would date to 17th century, but that would only be a guess based on my finds from that field. Among other finds today were 2 roman coins, George III penny and a silver 1872 6d.
Any ideas on the age, origin and purpose of the handle will be much appreciated.

John.
Hello John, looks like half of an handle of some sort, I would "guess" around 18th Century.
Robert.

robfinds said:
John_L said:
Hi,

John.
Hello John, looks like half of an handle of some sort, I would "guess" around 18th Century.
Robert.
John,
Didn't see you had posted twice until now.

Rob,
I agree my first thought was Georgian, just can't figure out what it fixed to :icon_scratch:

Hi John and welcome :icon_thumleft:. Depending on the metal could the handle be from a tankard :dontknow:.

hammered

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back