Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some times it pays to dig iron i was hunting a patch of meadow in all metal mode on my sov.gt i got this loud signal so i switched to disc. mode and saw a big 1 on my meter but it still did not sound like iron so i dug it 10" down there was this huge iron buckle about 4 inches by 3 inches coated in a heavy rust i was able to chip it all off very quickly then i soaked in lite engine oil 2 cyc. over night , could anyone give a date maybe early to mid 1800, s ? and is it horse tack for like a field horse in front of a plow ? and it looks to be hand forged , thanks alot for any help GH Jim :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• iron buckle 1.jpg
    iron buckle 1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 621
  • iron buckle 2.jpg
    iron buckle 2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 333
  • iron buckle 3.jpg
    iron buckle 3.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 279
I can't help, but I have saddle strap buckles very similar but are made of brass.

Upvote 0
Some times it pays to dig iron i was hunting a patch of meadow in all metal mode on my sov.gt i got this loud signal so i switched to disc. mode and saw a big 1 on my meter but it still did not sound like iron so i dug it 10" down there was this huge iron buckle about 4 inches by 3 inches coated in a heavy rust i was able to chip it all off very quickly then i soaked in lite engine oil 2 cyc. over night , could anyone give a date maybe early to mid 1800, s ? and is it horse tack for like a field horse in front of a plow ? and it looks to be hand forged , thanks alot for any help GH Jim :icon_thumright:
Quite a heavy buckle, I would have though you are correct, both on use, and the date range, difficult to determin an exact date as they were in use from the early 1700s to present. :icon_thumleft:

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back