Hammer head stuffed with square nails - it sure is!

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Not sure how much info I can get on this but I thought it was interesting and wanted to share. Though opinions as to type of hammer/age etc... would be most welcome. ;D

I dug this a couple inches deeper than anything else I have found at this site so far. I found it on the front lawn near the front door of the house. The nail shafts appear to be true squares which I believe makes them hand forged and earlier (as compared to the rectangular cut nails). About 3.75" long and 1" wide - not counting the nails.

r1y790.jpg

2uf3h1e.jpg

Re: Hammer head stuffed with square nails

Well it's a claw hammer... but you knew that.

18th/early 19th c. would be right for the shape. Makes a interesting nail pouch... :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Thanks Lucas ;D

Appreciate the date estimate. I'm beginning to think this house might be a couple decades older than we thought.

Upvote 0

As the wood handle became loose, the owner of this hammer pounded nails in the head to tighten it. I never saw one like this.. Its been repaired many times LOL.

Upvote 0

Way too many nails for that! LOL!

We all have old hammers lying around that are 50 or more years old... but I think the nails may be the "clincher" (PUN!). I think somebody was using that type of nail when this was lost. Get back out there! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Thanks BigC - it does look very similar :icon_thumleft:

Ah thanks again Lucas :D

Upvote 0
Wow!!!Thats crazy!!I just dug one last week!I seldom bring hammer heads home but that came with me!!I will have to take a pic! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Here's page 23 -

Attachments

• ham.jpg
    ham.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back