Hallmark/Maker Mark ID help

Kentbrankin

Apr 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a wedding band metal detecting a civil war battle/campground in Culpeper VA. It appears to be a brass with gold plating. It has
the mark on the inside CENTURY18. Next to this marking is a crown. I am interested in information about this mark.
IMG_4608.jpgIMG_4609.jpg

Kentbrankin I noticed this was your first post. Let me be the first to welcome you to Treasurenet !

The 18 probably represents the grade of gold such as 18 K

Century is probably the ring making company

Great find keep us posted

Upvote 0
Hi Kentbrankin

It’s not a mark I’ve seen before, but I’m going to make a guess that the ring is by Franklin & Co. of Attleboro, Massachusetts. Between c.1915 and c.1934 they are reported as using trademarks of “Century” and “The Century” like this:

Century1.jpg Century2.jpg

Those trademarks are not registered in the US and neither is your mark, which I suspect is another unregistered variation of their known marks. The company is poorly documented but E.I. Franklin & Co was founded in October 1874 in North Attleboro, Massachusetts by Elton I. Franklin and Clarence W. Fisher. The company is listed in the 1877/8 Attleboro directory at the F.S. Draper Building as “Franklin & Co, jewelry manufacturers” with Elton I. Franklin, George S. Somes and Clarence W. Fisher as proprietors. By 1930 the proprietors are recorded in a “History of Massachusett Industries” as G. Franklin (son of the founder), C. W. Fisher, and E. B. Fisher with the comment that “the company’s goods are marketed throughout this country and Canada, and it employs 125 workers in the manufacture of gold filled and silver jewelry”.

There doesn’t seem to be a record of the company after 1934, with the last listed address as Elm Street, North Attleboro.

PS: Welcome to Tnet

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That will make it unlikely to belong to a civil war soldier. The main house where I found it was near the site of a known Civil War Battle and also
dug in winter camps for three years. Thanks for the information!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back