Hallmark help

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
This is probably the wrong forum, but I couldn't figure out where else to put it--please redirect me if needed.

I'm trying to figure out the years these old spoons were made. The hallmarks are rather "squashed" and therefore hard to read. I believe they are all English, probably London, but the date letters have me puzzled--any silver experts out there? Thanks!

Attachments

• P1010066.JPG
    P1010066.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 129
  • P1010067.JPG
    P1010067.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 90
  • P1010068.JPG
    P1010068.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 100
  • P1010069.JPG
    P1010069.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 98
here is a good site....your pictures just don't have the detail these old eyes need.....

British Sterling - English Hallmarks, Irish Hallmarks & Scottish Hallmarks

I definitely agree with you, unclemac--the pictures are not too good. I purposely played with the contrast and other properties to try and get the hallmarks to stand out, but the fact is they are so worn and "squashed" that I haven't been able to identify them, even from the website you suggested. Thanks so much for your input. but if you and I can't see 'um, I doubt anyone else is going to be able to see 'um either! I could try some new pictures, but the details are just not there. Maybe I'll just have to give up on identifying their age and just enjoy them!

Upvote 0
...try and find a web site group that specializes in hallmark I.D. There must be a few, and they may crave the challenge.

Upvote 0
...i will say however, British sterling (lion)

Upvote 0
...i will say however, British sterling (lion)
Thanks again for all your help. I tried to post on a couple of sites, but unlike TREASURENET, it is very hard (at least for me!) to figure out how to post pictures--they require a URL link which I can't figure out. Maybe if I had some patience and took the time to read carefully how to post pictures, I would have some luck! Thanks again , unclemac.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back