Kipling79

Greenie
Mar 29, 2020
Port Huron, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found half of what appears to be a mangled token of some sorts. It was found in my yard, which has been a parcel since the early 1800's. I don't want to lead the investigation astray, but I've also found some iron in the area, which appears to be from an electric trolley that used to run down the road in front of my house in the late 1800's.

The half-token is nearly destroyed (melted?) With some clear wording on the front. There is partial wording on the back but some extreme cleaning will be needed to decipher any words.

Here it is, and the broken text from the front side will be below:

20200418_113240.jpg

Broken Text:

TO DEAL...
THIS COUPO...
WHEN TERM...
ARRANGEM...
BEEN FULFI...
BE REDEEM...
USUAL RET...
PROCEE...

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Edit: This token is approximately 1" in diameter and very light. I'm thinking it is either solid aluminum, or perhaps all I have left is the exterior cladding after the internals were melted or corroded away. I think it may be cladding due to the "crumpled look"... its appearance reminds me of a tin toothpaste tube that has been bent everywhere.

Last edited:
I’m trying to find a Coupon type advertising token, such as from Palmolive from maybe the 1920’s... that’s my guess as to what it is

Upvote 0
I believe it’s a Camay soap token by William Procter and James Gamble of Cincinnati, Ohio (founded 1837)

There are numerous variations to be found. This one says:

GOOD FOR / FREE CAKE / CAMAY / TOILET SOAP / AT YOUR DEALER'S / NOTHING TO BUY

And

TO DEALERS: / THIS COUPON CHECK, / WHEN TERMS OF THE / ARRANGEMENT HAVE / BEEN FUL-FILLED, / WILL BE REDEEMED / AT THE USUAL / RETAIL PRICE. / 32 / PROCTER & GAMBLE / 168-BF

Camay 1.jpgCamay 2.jpg

The numbers are believed to relate to various regions/establihments participating in redemption offer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the fast and accurate responses!

I have never heard of advertising tokens before, but it definitely looks like one. The "legalese" from the Camay toke is a very good match for mine. Additionally, the largest font on the entire token (th unreadable side) is a portion of a word that ends in "AY". Pictured below.

20200418_121858.jpg

Looks like I might have to mark this as solved!

Upvote 0
Note that although Procter and Gamble were founded in 1837, the 'Camay' brand for soap didn't make its first appearance until 1926... so that's the earliest date for the token.

PS: Welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back