Guilford Axe and 1811 Large cent

Chief31

Jul 10, 2022
First time out in a while, hit an old spot in Central VA and concentrated down by a long creek at a colonial era farm .Found a beautiful 1811 Largie which seems to be a key date with low mintage along with a bunch of flats . Saw this “rock” which I thought looked interesting so I kept it, not being well schooled in NA artifacts I messaged my buddy who confirmed it was a Guilford Axe! Seems like it’s in great condition with quite a blade on the end. Fits perfectly in my hand. I think I now found another hobby in addition to detecting! Anyone know the composition of stone ?

Attachments

• IMG_6378.jpeg
    IMG_6378.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6379.jpeg
    IMG_6379.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6382.jpeg
    IMG_6382.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6377.jpeg
    IMG_6377.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6375.jpeg
    IMG_6375.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6383.jpeg
    IMG_6383.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6384.jpeg
    IMG_6384.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6385.jpeg
    IMG_6385.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Upvote 13
First time out in a while, hit an old spot in Central VA and concentrated down by a long creek at a colonial era farm .Found a beautifu...
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to TODAY'S FINDS! for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: New to TreasureNet? Introduce yourself to our community here! Welcome aboard and Happy Hunting!

tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to TODAY'S FINDS! for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: New to TreasureNet? Introduce yourself to our community here! Welcome aboard and Happy Hunting!
Thanks for correcting my mistake !!

Great finds - congrats on the old Large Cent !
What's really cool ... your the first person to touch that coin in 200 years !
Looks like a lot of detail is still there - be very careful if your going to clean it.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the Guilford Axe type. I have never found one. It looks interesting for an axe style.
The large cent is a great find.
Congratulations on some nice finds.

Super finds! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing with us.

First time out in a while, hit an old spot in Central VA and concentrated down by a long creek at a colonial era farm .Found a beautiful 1811 Largie which seems to be a key date with low mintage along with a bunch of flats . Saw this “rock” which I thought looked interesting so I kept it, not being well schooled in NA artifacts I messaged my buddy who confirmed it was a Guilford Axe! Seems like it’s in great condition with quite a blade on the end. Fits perfectly in my hand. I think I now found another hobby in addition to detecting! Anyone know the composition of stone ?
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back