Grooved axe head found in Norfolk Virginia

komuso

Aug 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name is Jon and I am new to the forum. Although I know what this artifact is I am hoping to receive any additional information that this community can graciously provide for my father who found this artifact nearly 20 years ago.

My father found this grooved axe head 90% buried at the base of an oak tree. It is grooved which according to some google searching means that it could be from the archaic period.

Someone my father showed the axe head to (not an expert) said that the white chalky like substance covering the axe head could be calcium deposits due to the axe head being buried with the owner.

right.jpg

left.jpg

edge.jpg

close.jpg

Last edited:
Not the prettiest grooved axe I've seen, but still an awesome treasure. It seems more likely to me that it is just erosion rather than calcium. I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
Can't give you any more information, but I can congratulate you on a great artifact. I have a large either obsidian or black basalt knife blade covered with calcium looking substance that won't wash off, and I was also told by an archie type that it was probably in a body or buried with a corpse to have that happen. The knife was found on top of the ground on decomposed granite in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada on my relatives place near Raymond, California, and there were no bones or any other artifacts associated with the blade. Here is a picture of the one I'm talking about. The bottom one is just as black as the top one, and the white stuff will not wash or rub off.
points10H.jpg

Upvote 0
Post this in the Native American forum here on TN.. if you don't find a right answer here... Could possibly be a Indian Axe.... Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BosnMate- does your light colored one have a flat edge on the top(side nearest the knife blade)? Was it found near water? That shape reminds me of a fish spearing point.
..Oh if these artifacts could talk! Makes you wonder how many scalps that blade could've taken!

Upvote 0
is it covered on both sides...I have hunted extensively on Nevada and sometimes you get a "desert" patina on one side.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back