griffith rope company chrome thingy

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
found this in shallow water where a seawall gave out in an old miami park. might be a boat part. it was under sand which i guess helped keep the barnacles off. its marked as follows.. griffith rope company, milwaukee u.s.a., patented sept-2-25. its chrome over copper. there was a small box part to its underside but thats currently in the pipe in the sink (doh!). the part went underneath and covered the round hole in the middle. the peice pictured is slightly smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

Attachments

• rope1.JPG
    rope1.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 264
  • rope 2.JPG
    rope 2.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 277
  • rope 3.JPG
    rope 3.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 263
  • rope 4.JPG
    rope 4.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 263
It appears to me to be the backing to a light that your standard 1157 bulb inserts into.Marker light housing.

Upvote 0
Both good replies... I first thought air cleaner cover till I saw what looked like the light bulb hole...

a fast search shows me nothing for that comany...

Upvote 0
the light housing makes sense. i think i have an 1157 laying in the toolbox. will check the theory.

Upvote 0
re-tek said:
the light housing makes sense. i think i have an 1157 laying in the toolbox. will check the theory.

I think an 1157 has offset pins on the side (for a 1-way fit), there is one that the pins are straight across (can't remember if it's an 1156, or something else) because it's a single filament bulb used in marker lights, as opposed to a dual-filament 1157 used for tail/brake lighting.

The lense on a clearance light/marker light is about 2"X3", which would snap-on the the top of the bezel you have.

Smitty

Upvote 0
Some dash lights will push into a plastic piece first and then that assembly should turn into that hole. I say its a back cover for a vintage marine gauge with a light. The two holes on either side of the light look like they were the mounts.( I see the nut marks)The other holes for wiring or piping to a sending unit. This is all just conjecture. :D

Attachments

• dash light bulb.jpg
    dash light bulb.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 111
  • for dash light bulbs.jpg
    for dash light bulbs.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back