Green River Fob

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi everyone, found this one on Saturday while out hunting. I thought for sure it was a silver quarter but this is just as good if not better. I like collecting these fobs.

On the front of this fob it has a horse with a guy standing next to it. It has a horse shoe that goes around the border of it. It says at the top she was bred. At the bottom it says she was bred in old Kentucky. On the horses saddle bag it says really small green river. I know this is a whiskey from back in the day. I think the 30's it was big. I have a token with the same picture that is on the front of this fob. That was how I knew it was a whiskey.

When flipped to the back. Around the border of the fob it says used for the last 12 years by the u.s marine hospital service. In the middle of the fob at the top it says highest awards with a star below it. Then below that you will see where it starts to say this. Paris 1900. St. Louis 1904. Liege1905. Portland 1905. Milan, Italy 1906. Jamestown 1907. Then very small below that it says u.s.d childs & co Chicago.

It's a nice fob that took me hrs yesterday to get as clean as it is. Don't know the exact age on it but I'm guessing there whiskey was the choice for hospitals back in the day. If anyone knows a little more than I do on this just drop me a line and let me know.

Thanks guys hope you like this one as much as I do. HH Jer

Attachments

• Nice watch fob 1.jpg
    Nice watch fob 1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 942
  • Nice watch back side.jpg
    Nice watch back side.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 933
Upvote 0
Thanks man. I put that all in the story above.

Take care Jer

That's quite a fob! Never heard of Green River whiskey, but have heard of Green River knives. Congrats and HH

Excellent find!

Looks like a keeper!

HH

Lonewolfe

Price: $75.00 USD - Currency Converter

Shipping inside United States: Quoted at time of purchase
Shipping outside United States: Quoted at time of purchase

Description: This fob is a horse shoe with an ole Kentucky Gent holding a horse with a jug of Green river whiskey on it, and reads She was Bred In Old Kentucky. The back side says: The official whiskey of the U.S. Marine Hospital Service with dates: Paris 1900, St Louis 1904, Liege 1905, Portland 1905, Milan Italy 1906, Jamestown 1907. Excellent condition with normal wear. Great Mairne Fob. Status: For Sale Reference#: JW_66_144
Condition: EXCELLENT Year: 1900-1907

I was able to do a quick search and here is what I was able to come up with. The only difference in the one I found on the net and the one I dug is this. On the back mine says used for the past 12 years by the u.s marine hospital service. There's says on the back if you read at the top here. It is slightly different in wording. Not sure if they had a few varieties. Must have. I am guessing it is from the same time period.

Sorry free, It was my fault I didn't have the right company written down in the story or you probably would have already found it. It is hard to see under a jewlers loop.

Thanks all HH Jer

Very cool!!!
Anything old is good, fobs, tokens, etc...
WTG!

I've found prolly 3 or 4 of these, but mine are just coin-shaped (round, no slot)... I've often wondered if these are collectible if found in the ground... mine are all really red and somewhat corroded... i have them all in olive oil, but it doesn;t seem to be doing anything except making them shiny...

Hi guys thanks. Depends on the composition I could clean them. I make things so red and corroded look new again almost. There's some secrets involved. Not everything will clean good. If you have them in oil you my as well just keep soaking them. Because once you soak them in oil it's very hard to get it out of the coin or artifacts surface for recleaning with something else. And it's very hard for me to try and tell people how to clean there stuff because I don't really know how stuff gets out of p.a.

If I have to soak certain Indian heads for 5 or 6 hrs. Some only take hr if that. It's hard to say unless your the guy cleaning and monitoring them. I use 2 methods for the most part. A light peroxide bath and toothpicking. Then buffed with a polish that is safe for metals and doesn't scratch them. Depending on how bad the item is depends on how much to polish.

It's very hard to tell someone when I can't see a particular item for myself. I have used alot of different cleaning methods. It takes awile to find something that works. Didn't you ever go somewhere and look at someone's finds and say man they weren't dug. Yes they actually were. I was the same way. But notice every guy who has the finds are like 60. Because they have practiced many years of coin cleaning methods. Sure there not gonna tell you. They never told me. But I found out for myself. I was real skeptical when a guy would bring stuff to a club looking like he just got it at a flea market.

HH Jer.

F O B is the acronym for Found Old Beaver is it not? You know like, We wer'e trying to figure why the creek stopped and so we went lookin and we FOB'ed with a new damn built. I thought every one knew that. Geez .

Nice Fob Jerdfx. Now for that whisky, Where the hec did she hide it. LOL HH

PS. Thanks for the tip on cleaning.

Thanks floater, I think the lady and stoney are right. I wondered myself what it standed for but never gave it much thought.

Hey floater, next time you get a item you want clean let me know. I'll send you a recipe for bringing it back to life. I tried to post twice today my other finds. Story written and all and my kid put the pics in the trash can. So it messed them up even after restoring them. The site won't take them. Going to rescan it and try and get it up here shortly.

HH Jer

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Hope to find more of these over the years. I seen a guy a couple months ago who had about 25 fobs over 30 some years. Man they make a nice display. Man that's a long number away considering these seem to be like a once maybe twice a year find.

Good luck HH JerDfx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back