Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 139
I think maybe an 1853 Enfield. Hammer isn't as "humpy" as a Springfield and the bands appear narrower in the image..

Enfield

Enfield1853.jpg

Springfield
Springfield_1861.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with the Enfield comment. I have an 1853 Enfield hanging over my fireplace. The picture of course, is reversed. Look at the backwards "US" on the buckle. That's why the hammer on the rifle appears to be on the wrong side. The Enfields were used extensively by both sides during the Civil War.

Attachments

• 1853 Enfield.JPG
    1853 Enfield.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Frederick Lutz fought in the United States Civil War for the Union Side. He was listed as being from Kentucky. He was a Private K in the 2nd Kentucky Infantry.

Upvote 0
Frederick Lutz fought in the United States Civil War for the Union Side. He was listed as being from Kentucky. He was a Private K in the 2nd Kentucky Infantry.

I came across that too but I think there is another candidate from Indiana that might be him. There is a family tree published on Ancestry:

Birth
3 Mar
Nassau / Germany
1 Source
Residence
1 Jul
Oregon, Clark, Indiana, United States
Age on 1 July 1863: 26; Marital Status: Unmarried
1 Source
Residence
Louisville Ward 1, Jefferson, Kentucky, United States
2 Sources
Residence
Oregon, Clark, Indiana, United States
Age: 43; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Self
Death
17 May
Scott Co. Indiana

Spouse & Children:

Augusta Scheirer
1840 – 1923

Emma Lena Lutz
1869 – 1955

Philip Lutz
1871 –

Louisa Lutz
1875 –

Amanda Lutz
1878 – 1981

I followed a link provided in the tree to a Civil War draft record index which led me to the Company B, 81st Indiana Infantry and this reference for Frederick Lotz whom I think is the same.

Attachments

• lutz.jpg
    lutz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
Bramblefind, You found him. Hi daughter, Amanda, was my great grandmother. She lived to be 103 and lived by herself and took care of herself until she was 101. As a side note, she helped deliver Colonel Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken fame when he was born. He came to her 100th birthday and gave her a $100 bill with his signature on it.

Upvote 0
that card that is pictured is his pension index card. the National Archives in Wash DC has it - I recommend going there if you have a chance - you can read through his invalid pension file from the time he got it in 1883 to his death in 1923. It may have some cool stuff in it. At the very least, it should have lots of documentation on his injuries/disease that gave him the invalid pension, possible info on death/burial, maybe details on his health before and after his injuries, including what his jobs were... His military file is different, accessed with his unit info. It will consist primarily of his status on the unit's muster rolls, when he was in the hospital, home on leave, etc. (you can pay a fee to get either or both copied and sent to you, but doing it in person is a very cool experience.) A history of his unit will help you meanwhile, but will not tell you if he was with the unit at the time. You are so lucky to have their pictures, and to have names to go with them!!

Upvote 0
Thanks Tigger, I avoid DC like the plague. I do not like crowds and traffic. I will check into getting that info though. Thanks Again, Steve

Upvote 0
Great post. I'm glade to here you have the concern in recording and preserving your ancestry. (hope your descendants share the same passion)...I get a bit sad when I run into old boxes and albums full of old family photos that no one cared to take the time to record and keep them and they all just end up in an antique shop. They sell them as instant ancestors. I look for interesting old pictures that can possibly tell a story or have interesting subject matter. Most sell for around 50 cents to a dollar each and there fun to look through. Old daguerreotype's and ambrotype's cost more because of the collectability, but I will find a deal on them from time to time.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back